.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old May 18th, 2004, 05:41 PM

BANNED USER

Sammual is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unit Names, IDs, and Graphics Available

Very nice job.

Thank you.

Sammual
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

E. Albright is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by HotNifeThruButr:
I've never seen/heard of an Elder Dwarf, Asmeg, Capricorns, Ichtysatyr, mermidon (hahaha), giant ants, or tide warriors

Anyone have some info on them?
They sound like they're from the new underwater nation. Look here.

[Edit: erm, well, Capricorns, Ichtysatyr, Mermidon, and Tide Warriors, anyway...]

[ May 18, 2004, 23:36: Message edited by: E. Albright ]
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:39 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by E. Albright:
[Edit: erm, well, Capricorns, Ichtysatyr, Mermidon, and Tide Warriors, anyway...]
It might be fun to toss them into a water province with a few simple map commands just to see how they hold up in battle.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 15th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Has anyone made any progress on making a compilation of the base images and attack images in the proper pixel sizes?

I am finally at the point in my mod where I am going to be modifying existing sprites to convert the units since I am absolutely horrible at digital drawing.
Old June 15th, 2004, 05:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

Scott Hebert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
It might be fun to toss them into a water province with a few simple map commands just to see how they hold up in battle.
I'm testing the units in a mod. Quite intriguing.

BTW, the Asmeg/Asmeg Jarl are not part of the new nation. Anyone who mods the units into a nation will see their description, which is quite interesting.

And, Zen, I don't know how to get all of the images out of the game, or even if we're allowed. I'm trying to learn GIMP so I can make my own images for my own mods. Slow going, though.
Old June 15th, 2004, 08:45 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Now that somebody threadomanced this particular discussion, I might as well post an update on what I've been doing.

The unit database project I mention a few Posts down has come along quite nicely. Included so far are all independent units that I've managed to dig out of the game, all national units (save Oceania, I'll do those when we get access to the nation, because they might change in the meanwhile), almost all summons (apart from some unique ones, like the ice devils), all pretenders and all units that can be recruited from magic sites.

Every unit has all of its stats listed, along with its ID number.

Included is also a population type database which lists all units that a certain population type puts in a province (And boy do they have interesting units in poptypes 69 - 73... !!!).

Now, I saw once something that looked suspiciously like a weapons and equipment list for Dom2, so if somebody would be kind enough to point me where that is, I'll start adding that into the file, with all the weapons and armor and their stats so that we will have a single, well organized document as a map making and modding resource.

Any interest? And before you ask, no, the file is not Online, as I do not have web space on my internet accounts. I've sent the DB file to Sunray for comments, and if he feels like it, he might put it up on his site, but in the meanwhile I can email the file to those who are interested. If you want it, pipe up.

Oh yes, and state whether you want it as an Open Office or MS Excel spreadsheet. If you don't, you'll get OO as default, because I don't use Excel.

Edi

[ June 15, 2004, 19:47: Message edited by: Edi ]
Old June 15th, 2004, 09:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

For myself, I would prefer an .xls file. Can Excel read Open Office files? If so, I don't care.

What's really needed right now, as far as modding goes, are all of the image files for the units in the game so that modders have images that can manipulate without having to make them from scratch. Any way you can include that in your file?
Old June 15th, 2004, 10:18 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Hebert:
For myself, I would prefer an .xls file. Can Excel read Open Office files? If so, I don't care.
More the other way around. Open Office was created as a free alternative to the WIndows office package. It can do pretty much everything the Win Version can including reading/writing Wins files. But Win doesnt do the same back. I think .xls is probably bes for general use (though I hate to say it, I also use OO)

Quote:
What's really needed right now, as far as modding goes, are all of the image files for the units in the game so that modders have images that can manipulate without having to make them from scratch. Any way you can include
that in your file?
That was already done pretty slickly by a guy using a recorded macro. Theres a thread about it somewhere. He was working to extend it into more than a picture collection by adding in all the description text.

[ June 15, 2004, 21:19: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 15th, 2004, 10:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
More the other way around. Open Office was created as a free alternative to the WIndows office package. It can do pretty much everything the Win Version can including reading/writing Wins files. But Win doesnt do the same back. I think .xls is probably bes for general use (though I hate to say it, I also use OO)
Oh. Well, if Open Office can read .xls files, but Excel can't read OO files, wouldn't it make sense to use .xls files, as you suggest?

Quote:
That was already done pretty slickly by a guy using a recorded macro. Theres a thread about it somewhere. He was working to extend it into more than a picture collection by adding in all the description text.
Well, I know there's pictures of all the units on liga's site, but I don't think I can d/l them. Someone else has them? It would be _very_ useful if I had them... let me see if I can find them. Thanks.
Old June 15th, 2004, 10:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

Maltrease is on a distinguished road

[/qb][/quote]That was already done pretty slickly by a guy using a recorded macro. Theres a thread about it somewhere. He was working to extend it into more than a picture collection by adding in all the description text. [/QB][/quote]

This is the thread if you go to the first page

I'm still working on the unit database. I'm anxious to see what Edi has created because that may ease my work considerably.

If you want to download all the images you can get them from the link on the first post. These are only the base animations, and they are a large filesize than what is needed in the game.