.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:45 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Cumulativity in Mods & Map Terrain + Site Info

I was taking a trip down memory lane, rummaging around the Dom2 forums, and happened upon a couple of topics that might be of use to some of the modders and mapmakers here.

First off, on the subject of whether mods are cumulative with each other, In Dominions 2 all separate mods that modified the same monster were simultaneously in effect as long as they did not try to mod the same thing.

Given the way mods work, just being an overlay or mask for the actual game entities (as demonstrated by the concept of the Blank Mod and on the fly modding in the middle of the game), it is a rather safe assumption that this cumulativity has not changed at all and is still valid.

The original post, which was later followed on by tinkthank and tested out to be accurate. In cases of conflict, one mod takes precedence over the conflicted item (e.g. defense value, magic path level or whatever) and everything else is cumulative.

Quote:
Edi said:
I saw the question raised in Saber Cherry's Recruitable Unit Rebalance Mod thread about whether or not mods are cumulative.

I have a partial answer to this question, thanks in part to a few tests I ran when I did the readme's for Zen's CB series of mods.

The short answer is that, yes mods, are cumulative.

The longer answer is that they are cumulative when certain parameters are fulfilled. Namely, if two different mods change the same unit (e.g. the Scorpion King pretender), and both mods are enabled at the same time, then the modifications of BOTH mods come into effect if they modify different statistics. Continuing to use the Scorpion King example, if one mod gave the SK a body slot for items, increased defense and changed the inherent weapons and the other mod increased attack skill, altered magic paths and granted lightning immunity, then all of these will affect the SK if both mods are enabled simultaneously.

If there is conflict (i.e. both mods affect the same stat on the same monster), then it probably goes by the alphabetic order, but it is quite possible that the last modification is the one that takes effect (i.e. the alphabetically last mod could take precedence).

It'll be easy to run tests on this, just make two mods that both mod the same stat from some unit to different values, enable them and create a game, then see what happens.
On the subject of mapmaking, site frequencies and terrain math:

Site assignment to provinces:
Quote:
Arralen said:
I guess it works like this:
If site: Check what site. Random.
If site not possible: Reroll.
If site unique and already in the game: Reroll.
If site possible and rare: Reroll once.
Which was confirmed by Kristoffer.

Terrain affects site frequency as follows (non-cumulative, highest modifier applies):
  • Plains 0
  • Forest & Mountain +10
  • Swamp & Waste +20
  • Farmland -20
  • Manysites +30
  • Border Mountain +10 (treated as mountains)
  • <magic path>site: unknown, presumably a positive bonus to frequency and increased chance of that particular type of sites

Terrain affects population as follows (multiplier):
  • Plains 1
  • Farm 1.5
  • Forest 0.75
  • Mountain 0.5
  • Waste 0.25
  • Swamp 0.25
  • Sea 1
  • Deep Sea ?
  • Small Province 0.5 (assumed guesstimate, not tested)
  • Large Province 1.5 to 2 (assumed guesstimate, not tested)

Terrain affects resources as follows (multiplier, these are untested guesstimates):
  • Plains 1
  • Farm 0.25
  • Forest 1.25 to 1.5
  • Mountain 1.5 to 2
  • Waste 0.5
  • Swamp 0.5
  • Sea 1
  • Deep Sea ?
  • Small Province ?
  • Large Province ?
Original Dom2 thread for terrain issues here