.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 19th, 2008, 07:01 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bandar Log - you whipped me with what?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
I tried that, game is much more quiet. And I got cool Yashka / Yashkini heroes. Thanks. I gonna keep those scales.
You're playing with Worthy Heroes on, as there are no monkey nation heroes in the vanilla game except Devasura the Fallen and the longdead raja (Lanka).
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:15 PM

Sergeant

mathusalem is on a distinguished road

with Worthy heroes, I like an oracle S9 E9, turmoil 3 sloth 2 Heat 3 luck 3 magic 3
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

And you are actually able to really buy units with that?
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:50 PM

Sergeant

mathusalem is on a distinguished road

some Elephant for early expansion + Whites Ones
I rush for Paralyse (Thau4) and Conjuration-> I summon a lot
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:22 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Thanks for these and your other guides, Baalz!-particularly Marverni-they've really helped me make balancing decisions with my Aksum mod. Infact, removing Astral magic from Aksum was entirely a result of reading Marverni, and considering the potential of Teleport (Aksum is very movement-oriented in it's balancing).
Old September 20th, 2008, 06:55 PM

Sergeant

Epaminondas is on a distinguished road

This is slightly off-topic but not completely. How would you guys consider Ghandarvas as a recruitable sacred for either/both Kailasa or Bandar Log?

First, would they be too powerful as a recruitable? I don't see them as overpowering in EA, but I wonder what you guys would think--as I find Kailasa a rather frustrating nation to play as is.

Second, how would they be priced, if recruitable? I think 120g or so is fine, cheaper than the premier sacreds like Niefel Giants, but again, I am open to suggestions.
Old September 20th, 2008, 07:01 PM

Sergeant

Epaminondas is on a distinguished road

Also, why is Devala so damn expensive? I find the unit so worthless vis-a-vis Rudra. Heck, I'd rather build Siddhas--even for the same price!
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:07 PM

Major

AreaOfEffect is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnirizon View Post
W9 bless is a waste with BL...
All quickness effects stack. That includes the quickness from the heroic ability. I've got a turn file here with a Jotun Skratti prophet casting Quickness, blessed with water 9, and has the Quickness heroic ability. The proof is that he can attack three different squares in the same round with just his claws. So to say it is a waste is to assume that double quickness is somehow redundant when it isn't. Running on the other hand is a different story.

As for this guide. I like it very much and I'm sure I understand what your trying to say. The point is that you don't need a huge bless, or blood magic, or any of the other tired old schemes to be a powerful force as Bandar Log. I'm particularly glad you made an effort to even make monkey PD sound scary when backed by the right magic spells.

I say this so that everyone else can maybe understand. As it was once said by Gandalf Parker, everyone has their own style which is the best way for them to play. A style is generally, in-of-itself, not superior to other styles. People who gravitate to rainbow gods or SCs just have an affinity to them and through that affinity understand better how to utilize them. Some people understand bless strategies in a way that makes it suitable for them to always utilize sacred units. Baalz has tried his best to not let the strategies he presents get in the way of a person's style. The main point is that you see potential where you may have missed it before. It also has a really cool theme of kicking you butt with "crappy dudes". So please enjoy it for what it is.

Thanks Baalz.
Guide Supplement: LA Man - Castle Warfare
Referance: Prophet Transformations
The Following User Says Thank You to AreaOfEffect For This Useful Post:
Old September 20th, 2008, 11:22 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaOfEffect View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnirizon View Post
W9 bless is a waste with BL...
All quickness effects stack. That includes the quickness from the heroic ability. I've got a turn file here with a Jotun Skratti prophet casting Quickness, blessed with water 9, and has the Quickness heroic ability. The proof is that he can attack three different squares in the same round with just his claws. So to say it is a waste is to assume that double quickness is somehow redundant when it isn't. Running on the other hand is a different story.

Heroic Quickness is multiplicative with other Quickness. However, W9 bless is overwritten by both item and spell Quickness. I was told this very emphatically, so I did my own test to be sure, and it is. W1 mage with W9 bless, cast Blessing he goes to 150% of AP, then cast Personal Quickness, and he goes to 200%.

So since Heroic starts at +50% (or rather x150%), then if you are Quickened from spell or item, you are at 200%, x1.5 = 300% from the get go. It's awesome.
Old September 21st, 2008, 02:02 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaminondas View Post
This is slightly off-topic but not completely. How would you guys consider Ghandarvas as a recruitable sacred for either/both Kailasa or Bandar Log?

First, would they be too powerful as a recruitable? I don't see them as overpowering in EA, but I wonder what you guys would think--as I find Kailasa a rather frustrating nation to play as is.

Second, how would they be priced, if recruitable? I think 120g or so is fine, cheaper than the premier sacreds like Niefel Giants, but again, I am open to suggestions.
Compare them to tiger riders. Would you rather have One ghandarva or two tiger riders after your second turn? If so they should be more expensive than the tiger rider. Perhaps not double, since it is easier to kill one than two with single strikes, but still substantially more expensive. If you prefer rate the ghandarva three times as efficient as the tiger rider you might price them two to three times as expensive.

Since ghandarvas are midgame summons they they do not fit smoothly into the recruitment system. If you do not like high gold cost you might give them an increased resource cost.

Basic way of balancing: how much would I buy this unit instead of other units. As long as you prefer to buy the ghandarva they are too cheap.
When the opportunity cost is too high for you to buy them there are still many niche uses for them, and you are close to right about pricing. Unless you want them to be a ghandarva nation, that is.

---
The Devala is costly because she increases your dominion like the juggernaut and also the magic scale where she stays (unless I'm mistaken).