.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 10th, 2008, 07:26 AM

Sergeant

Poopsi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Illwinter, are you keeping it multiplayer?

When in doubt, I´d rather have a SP based game than a multiplayer one. That way you dont need to rely on a connection, or finding people to play. You turn it on whenever you want, stop whenever you want, and resume it whenever you want. Of course, multiplayer is a nice adittion but I´d rather have a solid SP game first.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poopsi For This Useful Post:
Old December 10th, 2008, 07:53 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Argitoth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoperez View Post
Such perfection is, if not straight-out impossible, at least infeasible.
Well, I did say you should be thinking in realistic, doable terms. For example, I dislike Left 4 Dead. I've had this idea for my perfec game before I even heard of Left 4 Dead; that is, an open-ended co-op survival horror game based on a zombie infestation. Throw in a little bit of Battlefield 2 elements plus some STALKER elements, plus lots of simple game mechanics that when combined creates a sandbox-type feel and it's my perfect co-op game.

Left 4 Dead is a step in the right direction, but it lacks dynamics. My perfect game would give you the ability to assess a situation to create a plan of attack. Sometimes you won't have that ability. You may find yourself in situation that you will die, period... UNLESS you use the sandbox mechanics and somehow quickly come up with a way to survive. There would be vehicles at your disposal, but everything would be limited so you usually feel you have to conserve and strategize... but not to the point that it becomes an annoyance, but so that you always have the feeling of "I've got to survive!"

The co-op elements would increase the fun of all the game mechanics in a synergistic way. For example, you may find yourself in a situation where you have a limited amount of time to find a new tire for your vehicle. You split up already knowing that there are relatively few zombies around so it's ok, but maybe you go in twos because zombies are hiding around every corner. That's a simple game mechanic... tire blows, vehicle moves slower, find a tire, use it on your vehicle, vehicle is repaired. I could go on, I love thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopsi View Post
WYou turn it on whenever you want, stop whenever you want, and resume it whenever you want.
For the record, that's exactly how I feel about Battlefield 2142, but I don't mind waiting for my friends if I was going to play my perfect game.

Last edited by Argitoth; December 10th, 2008 at 08:01 AM..
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:20 AM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

I'd say it depends on what makes the game fun.
If the game is about finding your strategy and seeing how it works out then it should be MP. AI can't compete with human opponents.
If the game is trying to tell a story/build up tension SP (maybe with small Coop) is better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Illuminated One For This Useful Post:
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I wouldnt say that Illwinter is NOT going to create a solo game (as someone did) because they have. Has everyone forgotten that Conquest of Ellysium came before Dominions? (available for free download at Shrapnel along with some other great games)
Or do you people consider that to be a natural progression with no return?

As to choosing....
If I HAD to choose one or the other then Id prefer solo over a game that only supports MP. But Illwinter has not created such a game. They created a solo game, then a game which supports MP and Solo together quite nicely. So Im not sure why we would ask the question. Do you consider it a natural progression that it goes Solo, Solo/MP, MP? If I were to consider such a programming stereotype I MIGHT consider it to be Solo, Solo/MP, Online World.

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; December 10th, 2008 at 11:14 AM..
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:28 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I have no interest in mp only games, usually.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sombre For This Useful Post:
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Gandalf, CoE has MP support, even if only hotseat.
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

I have difficulties playing SP games for long. JK is even worse I do like adventure games, but more in idea than in actual game play. I guess I'm more of a adventure maker than an adventure player. I prefer game-mastering to playing in most cases. I liked torment a lot, but didn't even get half through the story. Watched my brother play a bit and thought that it looked awesome. Same with fallout. I think I'm more into the mood and setting than into the stories themselves.

I do like coop-play. Especially coop vs coop games. Starcraft was most fun when you were 2vs2. GAmes are generally more fun when they have a social aspect. Together or against.
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

I have zero interest in MP only games, and marginal interest in MP heavy games where the SP is left to wither and die (like Dom2 and 3).

I came back to Dom3 because I had the time and money to fool with it, but frankly, the same reasons why I eventually shelved Dom2 are starting hit me for dom3. Though that's not all an MP/SP issue, more of an ease of use of the GUI after you've mastered enough of the game to want to be able to cruise through certain things.

Of course I understand that due to the archaic code base modernizing dom3 isn't happening, so I guess I'll have to look at the new product and decide if its going to be worth it for the long haul.

Otherwise I don't mind supporting teams like illwinter and shrapnel, even if the product isn't directly in my wheelhouse.
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:09 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I dont think SP is left to wither and die. Its just that the forums automatically provide a slanted view. To play MP you pretty much have to create a login here and visit frequently, which tends to lead to posting commentary. While a large majority of this games purchasers seem to be happy lurking and reading, grabbing an answer then leaving. Im guessing they are mostly soloists.

Also there are mods and maps and server games for soloists but they dont tend to get much mention in the lists which, being forum members, might tend toward being created by MPers.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

The SP problem is much deeper than that Gandalf.

The AI cannot possibly compete with all the options in the game, so there is no real impetus to actually improve the AI.

I know this, I accept this.

Can you get a satisfying SP game out of Dom3? Sure, with some caveats.

Is Dom3 designed for the SP game? Uhh... we all know the answer to that one.

Like I said, I don't begrudge illwinter the decision they made, they make the games they want to make and more power to them. But the facts remain that for whatever reason, the GUI and the AI make playing SP a much less enjoyable option than trying MP. Of course this is my opinion, I'm sure there are some who prefer SP, though I cannot really fathom why, but to each their own.

Anyway, the SP issues are not addressed directly by illwinter, they are addressed by kind folks as yourself and others making mods and randomizers and whatever else.

I don't see how difficult it would be for illwinter to at least include some reasonable pretenders for AI nations, nor do I see why some minor tweeks to the AI would be overly difficult.

Oh I know why it doesn't happen, because it's not fun to do. So yeah, I'll stick with my statement that the SP game is basically left to wither and die, however overly dramatic that might be