.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 10th, 2008, 04:50 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions for SP play?

I'm trying to get back into Dominions, but I cannot think about playing MP at the moment (look at me... no thinking! That does come easy to me, admittedly...), so I was wondering if there have been nice maps or scenarios to make SP a little bit more exciting?

Oh, and I remember there was talk of getting a Pretender pack to help the AI pick a half-decent Pretender and not something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy (you know who you are)... Has anything happened in that direction?

Any other pointer for SP play would be much appreciated... It's been a while since I've been around, and I'm still trying to get my bearings (oh, shiny blue forum...). Thanks!
Old November 10th, 2008, 07:15 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestions for SP play?

Try the Better Independents 2.1 mod. It prevents the AI from recruiting chaff hordes and forces it to use a lot more national troops, so it becomes a lot tougher opponent. Link is in my sig.
Old November 10th, 2008, 07:44 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
Try the Better Independents 2.1 mod. It prevents the AI from recruiting chaff hordes and forces it to use a lot more national troops, so it becomes a lot tougher opponent. Link is in my sig.
Edi's turning into Aezeal! :O
Old November 10th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
Edi's turning into Aezeal! :O
?

( PS: Welcome back Alneyan )
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:01 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alneyan View Post
I'm trying to get back into Dominions, but I cannot think about playing MP at the moment (look at me... no thinking! That does come easy to me, admittedly...), so I was wondering if there have been nice maps or scenarios to make SP a little bit more exciting?
I suggest using the mapedit commands to provide specific pretenders to the AI opponents and it also allows you to configure them as allies.

If you're feeling very brave provide an AI opponent with one or more SCs... thugs won't last long enough.
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:04 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Thanks Edi for the mod! I like it so far... well, I'm not sure 'like' is the appropriate word as it's resulted in a bit more pain for me, but still, that's what I was after!

I could script the AI myself, but I'd know what I'd be up against, so I would have a much easier time coming up with a counter well in advance. Well, unless I designed the perfect SC I suppose...
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alneyan View Post
Thanks Edi for the mod! I like it so far... well, I'm not sure 'like' is the appropriate word as it's resulted in a bit more pain for me, but still, that's what I was after!

I could script the AI myself, but I'd know what I'd be up against, so I would have a much easier time coming up with a counter well in advance. Well, unless I designed the perfect SC I suppose...
Check out Ballbarian's SemiRandom/Random suite of tools. Not scripted, but at least better designed AI opponents are possible. You could design them yourself but leave enough randomized to make it not totally predictable.
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I think you are thinking of my pretender pack project. It never came into existence.

However the concepts were included into Ballbarians SemiRandom program.
It does logical provinces, and logical AIs. So far there arent many of them and we would certainly love for you to help fill in the gaps. (or anyone else who would like to donate their favorite god-build)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 11th, 2008, 04:09 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

I don't know much about the RanDom program, but I was under the impression that there's already a LOT of user-contributed random province material in there. Sadly, the AI will probably fare worse against them if they're harder to beat than standard indies.
Emergency comic relief
Old November 11th, 2008, 04:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Actually thats part of the problem. What has been turned in has been killer provinces. We need to add lots of simply interesting, or trivia, or joke provinces so that a SemiRandomized map only has a few killer provinces scattered around.

But its the gods she was asking about. And those are very lacking.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)