.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 5th, 2007, 12:55 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wish List for next patch

Actuarian, that particular bug is going to be fixed in the next patch. You're going to see a fairly large amount of the more serious stuff posted into the shortlist thread as soon as I get it organized and formatted to a shortlist friendly format, but like the devs, I also suffer from the condition known as Real Life which entails things like work, girlfriend, friends and a couple of cats. So it'll take a few days now, but then we should have all of the things reported to date shortlisted and Johan and Kristoffer can take a look at them.

Edi
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
GameExtremist said:
Code it so that you can save your battle replays and gloat over your greatest victories or lament over your worst defeats.
The games replays rely on a ton of info that would make a save pretty large.
There are 3rd party programs that will allow you to save the battle and save it in public formats suitable for uploading.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Szumo said:
I would like if multiple ritual site search spells (Auspex, Haruspex, Dark Knowledge etc.) were automatically cast on different unsearched provinces.
If I understand your request, thats already in the game. You select the appropriate mages, then use shift-M to tell them to cast the search spells automatically every month. They will select the next unsearched province.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:33 PM

You misunderstand his request, Gandalf.

If you select e.g. 5 air mages to cast Auspex, each and every one of them will autotarget province 1 instead of targeting provinces 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 in succession. So you have to assign them by hand anyway, unless you're firing off just one full battery of radars every round and all of them go to the same province every time.

Edi
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:43 PM

First Lieutenant

Kuritza is on a distinguished road

I'd like vans to have 10 basic hitpoints instead of 13 (making them vulnerable to lightning bolt, frozen heart and other combat spells) and defense bonus for glamour. Mirror image is enough to justify their 'very hard to hit' description, and their high attack/defense/str/mr nicely sum up as a 'physically superior to humans', no need for this added beef as well.
Maybe let them have +1 defense on top of what they have, with the glamour def bonus removed of course.
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hellboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Edi said:
Actuarian, that particular bug is going to be fixed in the next patch. You're going to see a fairly large amount of the more serious stuff posted into the shortlist thread as soon as I get it organized and formatted to a shortlist friendly format, but like the devs, I also suffer from the condition known as Real Life which entails things like work, girlfriend, friends and a couple of cats. So it'll take a few days now, but then we should have all of the things reported to date shortlisted and Johan and Kristoffer can take a look at them.

Edi
BTW, I've been meaning to mention that the bug list is excellent work, Edi! Between that and the DB work you've don I'm sure IW must be paying you top dollar!
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

mivayan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
GameExtremist said:
Code it so that you can save your battle replays and gloat over your greatest victories or lament over your worst defeats.
If you had a neat victory in province 56, you could always make a copy of the whole savegame folder with a name such as ulm_gloat_56
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Thanks, Hellboy. I get paid something on the order of €0.00 per day, with an equally generous weekly, monthly and yearly bonus.

Seriously, it's all voluntary. I'd have done the DB in any case since it is such a useful tool for mapmakers and modders and helps produce superior quality mods and greatly improved maps (due to precise control of what units to put where). And a sufficient number of maps and mods are what will keep the game going quite a bit past the point where it would naturally taper off.

We saw that happen with Dom2, it was slowly starting to decline (as measured by activity here, or as I saw it anyhow) despite a modest number of mods and a fairly good selection of maps. We had Sunray's unit list at that point, but it was incomplete, didn't have all the unit numbers and while useful, wasn't exactly what I was looking for at the time (when I was making the first draft of the Faerun map). So I made a new version and organized that into the Dom2 DB. I later got to see the source code for sites for Dom2, which is why the magic site section of the Dom2 DB is the most complete and accurate part of that documentation.

A side effect of me releasing the Dom2 DB was that suddenly we got a veritable explosion of mods and Zen's idea of the Complete Balance series of mods took on a life of its own almost and becamse an instant hit. After Zen left, quantum mechani took over that and has continued the project since.

Even before I had my own copy of Dom3, I knew that my first order of business would be producing a DB of the base game so that the community would have better to tools to make things happen sooner rather than later. If you were to look at the pace things have gone forward with Dom3 vs how quickly this happened with Dom2, you would find that the process has been significantly accelerated and knowing what mistakes not to repeat has speeded it up still more.

As for the bug list thing, let's just say that the Shrapnel staff made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
Ok, not the Godfather type of offer, but I was asked to tackle the bug thread and sorting the reporting issues out. I accepted for several different reasons and the shortlist thread and the stricter reporting guidelines are an outgrowth of that.

Edi
The Following User Says Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post:
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:59 PM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Quote:
Szumo said:
I would like if multiple ritual site search spells (Auspex, Haruspex, Dark Knowledge etc.) were automatically cast on different unsearched provinces.
If I understand your request, thats already in the game. You select the appropriate mages, then use shift-M to tell them to cast the search spells automatically every month. They will select the next unsearched province.
I've never seen this happen.
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:04 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

And he gets an occasional pat on his head from us.

*pat, pat*

Actually, I've been off-board for a while. So this is his first pat