Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Luck scale strategy - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 6th, 2010, 10:37 AM

First Lieutenant

Finalgenesis is on a distinguished road

I noticed that I tend to always go for a Order/Misfortune for most cases, so I tend to take those that can use turmoil/luck with great glee. The only few so far i used a luck turmoil scale was for EA Mictlan, LA R'yeth and now I'm trying EA Pan.

And then it struck me that there's certain nuance to using luck and misfortune that isn't obvious. Was wondering what insight vets have on this. To start:

1) only 3 events (I think I've seen 4 sometimes ) can happen at the same turn.

-This seem to say that the impact of luck/Mis gets smaller the bigger the game. So luck would get a mark against in a large map.

2) You tend to get events for new provinces you capture (Or sometimes it just stays in a certain few provinces before moving onto different provinces...), the province selection mechanic is not randomized by my observation. Knowing how the game generates event will be very important...

that means on luck scale you're forced to push Dom hard which can be difficult and waste much opportunity cost(and not always possible, sometimes your STUCK with those new provinces in neutral-negative luck. Whereas for Misfortune this is a good thing, you get to either use the neutral or same ol' negative luck pushing your border out.

3) Luck dependent rolls: Breeding, Transformation and void gate. How chances for good spawn and transform is affected by them.

I particularly like this, I love the slot-machine effect of casting breeding and using Void gate summoning. It happens to tie in nicely to certain teams like LA R'yeth and EA Mictlan. I was wondering if there is a comprehensive list of what other things luck may effect? I'm almost certain there are a lot beyond turn events, breeding and void gate. Maybe transforming Pan could be fun, skip their damn 20+ gold upkeep...

4) For luck, it can be difficult to plan a stable strategy... Those in the first 3-5 turns can really define your initiate start.

More so then order/Mis, I feel that luck/turmoil/Sloth tend to be difficult early on to expand quickly from income issues. The events for Turn 2-5 when still focused on your capital is highly relevant. I've had starts of normal-poor luck and tend to fall in the hole early on, then there are starts when I get insane goodness on turn 2-3. Ex. A recent EA Pan T2 gave me 200 gold, 40 gold/turn silver mine at capital AND Rams head hero. I won't even count how the game turned for me in EA Mictlan when I got a 3000 gold event, finally allowing me to plop down 2 fortified position and a "surge".

From what little I played so far, Order/misfortune tend to be pretty stable in general and events gets less annoying as you expand. Whereas for Luck, the effect is diluted when you expand as events move to low dom - enemy dom provinces. It seems you get the most benefit on Turn 3-5.

So far I tried to play it with a higher Dom (LA R'yeth works nicely in that regards), but my expansion ultimate outruns my dom and I get stuck with bad luck on the outer provinces. I think I really need to figure out the event generating mechanics and what other things luck influence to have a well thought out strategy for this.

With that, anyone ran into the above problems and have insights into them (Or other combos with luck that isn't obvious)? To be fair, I love a healthy dose of randomness, I really do like luck (makes every turn start that much more to look forward to) and I figure out ways to mitigate its shortcoming .

Last edited by Finalgenesis; June 6th, 2010 at 12:01 PM..
Old June 6th, 2010, 04:36 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Luck scale strategy

Take a look at the event list. That should give you a good idea about what can happen with what scales.
Old June 6th, 2010, 09:11 PM

First Lieutenant

I do, and I usually set my scales to avoid the most disasterous ones (Death -3 ...etc). The problem isn't with event listing (and thank you for the database btw) but rather the event generating mechanics, strategy playing with luck and what other things luck affect besides cross breed, transformation and void gate summon.
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:45 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

If I have Luck 3, turmoil 3, I will almost always go with death 3.

Especially with a nation that may choose an oracle, lady of fortune, divine oracle, or has strong fortune teller abilities, and/or lacks death access.
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:59 AM

First Lieutenant

The problem is the province selection for events. Your SC may not be in the right provinces to influence event, as you tend to park it in a fort and events tend to occur on newly captured provinces (or some pattern I cannot discern) this would dilute its usefulness in that regard. Also I think as you expand out further this also gets harder to use your SC ability and luck scale (unless you push your dom hard all game, which takes a lot of effort). Hmmm I really need to test how province event generating mechanics work.
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

The game checks each province in numerical order for events (multiple can happen in a province). Once 4 events are generated, it stops. Thus lower-number provinces have a higher chance for an event because they are checked first.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old June 7th, 2010, 03:15 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalgenesis View Post
The problem is the province selection for events. Your SC may not be in the right provinces to influence event, as you tend to park it in a fort and events tend to occur on newly captured provinces (or some pattern I cannot discern) this would dilute its usefulness in that regard. Also I think as you expand out further this also gets harder to use your SC ability and luck scale (unless you push your dom hard all game, which takes a lot of effort). Hmmm I really need to test how province event generating mechanics work.
Irrelevent. While your empire is small, the value of your capitol vastly dwarfs the value of any other province. 80% of your income the first 10 turns is coming from your capitol. Preventing bad events there is crucial.
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:12 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
The game checks each province in numerical order for events (multiple can happen in a province). Once 4 events are generated, it stops. Thus lower-number provinces have a higher chance for an event because they are checked first.
ah I see, this could be what I'm seeing! I think I can plan for this.
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:59 PM

BANNED USER

One wonders if an event cancelled counts as an event. I believe it does.

So theoretically if you covered say your 10 lowest provinces with fortune tellers you should be immune to bad events.
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:13 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

It's certainly nowhere near that deterministic. I've just looked at saved games where events have occurred outside of my 10 lowest numbered provinces.
In fact, just from that quick look, I don't see any obvious pattern. Events seem scattered throughout my empires. In the first game I checked one occurred in my highest numbered province. (Small map, but still...)

Furthermore, when event messages are given they don't appear in province order. Since every thing else in the message list is shown in the order it happens (Ritual casting, battles etc) that's at least an indication that events aren't generated in province order.

Squirrelloid, have you actually tested this? And how? I don't see a way to do it other than brute force: Huge empire, lots of turns and do some serious crunching of the results if they aren't obvious.