.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 19th, 2004, 02:15 AM

Corporal

Calistas is on a distinguished road
Default New Dom3 races! Post suggestions here!

I think we should have some furries! What more could one want??

"Wrowl!"
______\________________

It's a whole new market to sell to as well! ...so come on, I've posted my idea, you post yours

Cal
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

liga is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Dom3 races! Post suggestions here!

I'm more serious ... but I would like to see/play a rat-society like the WHFB Skaven ... and also I really miss the dwarves!

good play
Liga
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:47 AM

Corporal

Calistas is on a distinguished road

Furries say "hiss!"

Ahh well. Insert picture of a furry in a rat costume.

Hehehe

But yes, would be fun.

Peter
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

Wauthan is on a distinguished road

Would't mind seeing somekind of "tunnelrunner" race myself. Or a disease theme faction to challenge Ermor and Pangea CW for undead supremacy. A dinorider theme for C'tis could perhaps draw a crowd. Since a new waternation perhaps even in the process of creation I don't need to wish for one.
Old October 19th, 2004, 05:07 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Standard Ulm is as close to Dwarves as can be reasonably required, the only difference between them is flavor texts. Almost everything else that could be reasonably suggested is going to be of the generic fantasy cliche variety (orcs, elves, gnomes, halflings, draconians, all have been done). We've already got elves in the form of Tuatha Man and less so with Vanheim. Halflings are present as independent poptypes. So are trolls, they just need to be enabled. Jotunheim includes goblins alongside giants too.

I have a hard time even thinking of any ideas that have not already been done several times over. The frostlings that made an appearance in Age of Wonders and the Syron and Demon nations in AoW:SM were new stuff, but ripping those off would require permission from Triumph Studios.

I suppose a barbarian nation could be cobbled together from some of the indepedents. The basic barbarians, tribal warriors, archers and cavalry, and certain Indep mages (cloud mage, moon mage, enchantresses and witches) would make it possible, but such a nation would have to be magically weak to be thematic. That could be compensated for by maybe having them able to recruit some of the lower end summons type monsters as sacred units (thinking of drakes here, mostly), or similar that could give them some parity. Maybe having some stealth troops too, then they'd be similar to Pangaea in some respects.

The Amazon nation that has been done as a mod for Dom2 is looking like a good candidate that I suppose will make an appearance. I also would not mind seeing a second lizard nation based on the predatory ones enslaved by C'tis. Eliminate death magic, give them elementals and nature instead and it'd work. I was actually half-seriously contemplating making a mod that would have done just this, but I'm too lazy and unskilled to do the graphics work required. If I had some graphics base templates to go from, I might even do that, but so many other things to do...

An angelic nation to serve as a counterpart to Mictlan could be another new one, some human troops and various angel summons the same way there are lots of blood summons now. This become especially feasible if divine and unholy magic are revamped to more resemble the others, or else it could be done by using astral as the benevolent counterpart to blood (especially appropriate, as blood combos seem to be thematically corruptions of the pure forms of other paths, witness Fallen Angel, for example).

Edi
Old October 19th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

I would love to see a new undead nation with quality undeads . So either a vampire nation with vampires , werewolfes , ghosts , liches etc. or a undead beast nation which is led by undead dragons .
Old October 19th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road

Drow swordsmen! Drow priestesses! Drow mages! Driders! (And not puny humans riding on spiders either!)
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:11 AM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road

Actually I like Fantasy stuff, but I've found it very refreshing that Dom2 didnt include Orces & Elves et al. I think it's pretty cute that it orients itself at more historic myths than the usual DnD-stuff, making it much more unique...

That aside, before making up a new theme for a new race, one should rather consider their new strategic abilities, e.g. I could envision a subterrean race having something like the "stealthy"-ability called "digger": A "digger" commander and all his "digger" mininons can be ordered to target a distant province. They then "dig-in" and a few turns later they suddenly pop-up in the target province. So strategically, it would be better than stealth, since those units could not be detected by patrollers (and faster) and it would be much worse than teleporting, since it would not be instant, but taking some turns (a fixed amount regardless of distance maybe). Units once ordered to dig-in should not be accessible until they appear at their destination, so diggin would require some strategical foresight, since one could not stop those tunnelers once they were set to home in on their target...

Or one could improve upon flying nations, by adding a nation whose natives innately have some limited teleport possibilites. Maybe all their commanders should have a minor astral skill or other severe offsets for the added mobility...
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:28 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

I suppose the Bandar tiger riders qualify as furries. You can even se their sideburns.
Old October 19th, 2004, 08:22 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
deccan said:
Drow swordsmen! Drow priestesses! Drow mages! Driders! (And not puny humans riding on spiders either!)
*kills deccan*

Infidel! The Drow are absolutely the Last thing EVER that I want to see in Dominions. They were cool in AD&D, but ever since the Icewind Dale and Dark Elf trilogies, everyone and their dog has felt it necessary to stick them in all fantasy, and I'm goddamn sick and tired of it. Machaka as a concept is much more interesting than the drow. Using them would be stale beyond words. Drow do not imnsho belong in Dominions.

Kristoffer, are the tiger riders something akin to the tigrans of AoW2 or the tigermen seen briefly in Raymond E. Feist's Magician books? I was thinking that a felinoid nation would be cool, and seems I'm not to be disappointed...

Edi