.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old June 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Faerun 466 - Adventure Map! (UPDATED!)

Thanks!

The Provinces with crowns are victory point provinces. Each victory point acts like a temple for the purposes of spreading dominion and they are used for determining the winner for a game with a victory condition based on victory points. All special provinces grant victory points but not all victory point provinces are special provinces. Play the adventure map and find out...

Adventure map is the version with all the special provinces. The other one is a no specials version, which does not have any scripted provinces, so Waterdeep, Calimport, Hellgate Keep etc are just normal provinces. The #killfeatures map command annihilates all randomly determined magic sites from the province during game creation so that all scripted sites are guaranteed to appear.

As far as recommended settings go, indie strength is according to taste, but I always play with independents 7. Slows the impossible AI down a bit, but not too much, whereas a lesser indie strength would mean you'd get overrun. Standard gold, standard resources, 150% supplies (which helps AI some with starvation).

Magic sites one or two steps less than default, or default. If you crank it up higher, the gem income is insane. One co-op game against around 20 AI nations with a friend of mine, I had roughly 100 provinces and I did not have any type of gem income less than 20 per turn and some were in the high 30s range without gem generator globals.

On this map I usually use victory by provinces or victory by victory points, with the target VP amount set to between 35 and 50 (out of 100, 50 is maximum you can set).

The number of players that fits on this map is big, so no less than 17 nations, I'd say. But no LA ermor or LA R'lyeh, because the freespawn problem will cause the game to hit the unit limit.

One of the problems is that there are so many start locations that you can end up with somebody having almost a quarter of the map to themselves while seven or eight nations end up starting in a tight cluster, which can lead to some interesting results.
Old June 7th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Private

AndonSage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
The Provinces with crowns are victory point provinces. Each victory point acts like a temple for the purposes of spreading dominion and they are used for determining the winner for a game with a victory condition based on victory points. All special provinces grant victory points but not all victory point provinces are special provinces. Play the adventure map and find out...
I am playing the adventure map Just started a game on it yesterday. Since I didn't change the victory conditions (just have Standard Victory), do those VP provinces still spread dominion? Also, is the number of crowns the number of VP?

Quote:
Adventure map is the version with all the special provinces. -snip-
Got it, thanks

Quote:
As far as recommended settings go, indie strength is according to taste, but I always play with independents 7. Slows the impossible AI down a bit, but not too much, whereas a lesser indie strength would mean you'd get overrun. Standard gold, standard resources, 150% supplies (which helps AI some with starvation).
I normally play with indie strength 7, so that works Although I'm using Normal AI, since it's been over a year since I last played. I need to remember how to play, hehe.

Quote:
On this map I usually use victory by provinces or victory by victory points, with the target VP amount set to between 35 and 50 (out of 100, 50 is maximum you can set).
My current game I just went with Standard Victory. I like long games

Quote:
The number of players that fits on this map is big, so no less than 17 nations, I'd say. But no LA ermor or LA R'lyeh, because the freespawn problem will cause the game to hit the unit limit.
I went with me + 15, so that's close I'm playing Early Age, Niefelheim.

Quote:
One of the problems is that there are so many start locations that you can end up with somebody having almost a quarter of the map to themselves while seven or eight nations end up starting in a tight cluster, which can lead to some interesting results.
Is that with too few nations? Or can that happen even with 17+ Nations?

Thanks for replying, Edi!
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:58 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

I've just noticed a possible missing connection on the map. Should 112,119 be connected?
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old June 25th, 2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
I've just noticed a possible missing connection on the map. Should 112,119 be connected?
They should indeed. Thank you for this. I'll update the map on the weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post:
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:38 AM

Private

jmccrea70 is on a distinguished road

What an awesome map you have! I just started playing Dom3 so Im really new to the game and came across this and loved it! Brings me back to the days of "High Adventure" as my friends as i would travel thru Toril. Thanks for all your hard work on it and hope that everyone appreciates your time and effort on this!

Are there any other mods you would recommend? Im still sifting thru them, and would like to know the ones you like, if you dont mind that is. Thanks again!
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the great feedback. Glad you're enjoying the map.

The neighbor bug reported by vfb has yet to be fixed, but I'll try to get that as soon as possible. As for mods that I'd recommend, either the CBM (Complete Balance mod) if you want more actually cost efficient choices, and if you want to face national troops from the AI, Better Independents (linked from my sig). Be warned that the Better Independents mod makes the AI plenty tougher than it is usually because recruiting crap has been disabled unless the crap is a national unit.
Old July 5th, 2009, 03:34 PM

Private

Have you ever thought about a complete conversion...adding races that are appopriate to the realms and possibly the classes. Though that could be a very limited selection of units...and would prolly be alot of work. Since most of us have lives outside of games(which is too bad actually) this prolly isnt possible. Still great mod and seeing that map was like being back home haha

Strange im not seeing any sigs...wonder if I have that turned off
Old July 5th, 2009, 05:22 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
CBM (Complete Balance mod)
Conceptual.
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:10 PM

Private

Also, Can I use the Better Independents mod and the Faerun map at the same time? Sorry if this is a noob question. Im guessing I would have to make a mod folder and put them into their and the game would then run them?
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:41 PM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road

The Faerun Map remains in the "map" folder, where I assume you have it installed if it is working correctly.

Better Independants is a mod and goes into the "mods" folder. You can use it with Faerun (or any map). To use any mod you go to Preferences->Mod Preferences->[click on mods to enable them]. Then start a new game. Any mods enabled at the time of game creation will be incorporated into that game. If you load any previous (saved) game Dominions recognizes the mods you started it with and automatically loads those mods for you.

In general all maps are compatible. However, mods rely on a limited set of Identification numbers (for units and such), so if two mods use the same Id numbers for different stuff then weird results can happen (from getting the wrong unit/spell/armor/whatever to the game crashing). It is an easy fix though, if you just look into a little modding. I thing Gregstorm (or someone?) made a nice mod-reconciler tool that fixes such errors.

Some maps (like the Dom 3k maps and the Antilarium map) require certain mods to work properly, but beyond that all maps should work with all mods.

Finally, if you enjoy Faerun (which is a great adventure map) you might want to look into Antilarium (Here) and Gang Wars (Here).

There are probably more, but those two spring to mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fate For This Useful Post: