.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old September 9th, 2005, 06:16 AM

Captain

Jurri is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conceptual Balance Mods - Version 4.0

In the nation mod, the Newt still ain't right. This time it's got the description in the mod-file, but with the #name command. So, in effect it's got a borked name and no description, the poor thing.
Old September 9th, 2005, 08:59 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Heh. Amusing typo on Abyssia's Blood of the Humans theme; the Guardians of the Pyre are "trained as priests or [/i]scared[/i] warriors." Also, the name of 2nd commander from the left for the theme's "When the humanbred population w".
Old September 11th, 2005, 09:27 AM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quantum_mechani said:
Quote:
Cainehill said:

Same thing might be done with the life draining weapons - if you make them require death-3, it puts them more or less out of the reach of non-death nations. But if you make them death 2 + death 2, the expense goes up without shafting the nations that don't start strong in death magic.
Since it ends up looking so weird, I would really rather keep use of the technique to a minimum. The goal with lifedrain weapons is that they are now nerfed enough (and other weapons boosted enough) that not having access to them is not a huge deal.
Would perfectly fit for hoard items too. Overall it is rather unfair that now lots of potentially top hoarding nations can't hoard anymore, like Mictlan, Caelum, Jotunheim etc..
And for clams the 10W 10S change is not enough also, 20W would be better and 25% more costs.
Old September 12th, 2005, 05:04 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

I've finally started getting the nations readme in gear and have started to make that. No new versions for a while, please, as this will take some days (#%&! database course and SQL project and other schoolwork...).

I'll fix some of the typos and other screwups in the mod itself and reformat the unit modifications to follow the same order as in the Unit DB (gcost, rescost, hp, prot etc etc). Maybe I'm a sructured document freak, but that comes with the editorial territory and previous jobs in documentation...

There will also be an updated pretender readme for v4.

Edi
Old September 12th, 2005, 06:16 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Edi said:
No new versions for a while, please, as this will take some days (#%&! database course and SQL project and other schoolwork...).

Don't worry, I'm pretty happy with the current version, no major problems yet.
Old September 16th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Sergeant

Horst F. JENS is on a distinguished road

i work currently together at a new version of "the tome" for dom2 and also will include a version for the conceptual balance mods 4.0. So far i have done the items and spells sections but i need more time nations section. Who is in charge of documentation of the Conceptual Balance Mod ? I would like to have the version of the tome reviewed before publishing because i had troubles with some of the mod commands.
Old September 16th, 2005, 06:09 PM

I'm the one you want for that. The nation readme is in the works, and I*ve gotten up to T'ien Chi with it. Will finish it sometime next week or maybe even this weekend. I'm updating and restructuring the Unit DB at the moment, and boy does it have some gross errors in places! Very few of those, fortunately, and they will be eliminated.

The UDB sidetrack was actually introduced by the CB Nations readme, because calculating the original def values etc was getting to be a pain in the arse. When I'm done, I'll just be able to glance at the UDB and immediately see the current active values as well as the base values.

Edi
Old September 21st, 2005, 06:04 PM

Nation mod Readme is ready, and I've updated that particular submod to version 4.1. It fixes numerous minor and a few pretty serious issues. Get your attachment here.

And my email is out of commission, something is up with the pop3 server of my ISP and I can't read any email. Can send as much as I like, but not read, not by downloading or through the web front end. So any comments etc should be posted in this thread for the time being.

Edi
Attached Files
File Type: rar 381738-CB_Nations_41.rar (15.2 KB, 114 views)
Old September 21st, 2005, 07:07 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

ok, here are the problems I noticed:

*It make spears better, which I do not want to do.

*It lists the old lava warrior price wrong.

*It lists some Ulm infantry as made cheaper when they were not, and leaves out the shield on one.

*It lists grand thoumaturg under Marignon.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 02:29 AM

Check your mail, Quantum. You didn't get the one I sent you late yesterday evening because the Google mail server started *****ing something about illegal attachments, and I'm about ready to go down to their office with a fireaxe and start swinging. I just resent without attachments.

EDIT: Also resent the DB file, as a zip this time, Google seems to hate rar files.

Quote:
quantum_mechani said:
ok, here are the problems I noticed:

*It make spears better, which I do not want to do.
I can understand that from one point of view, but from another, it is simply bizarre. Spears right now suck arse, the base damage they do is 2 less than a simple shortsword, and only half of what a broadsword does. It also lacks any defensive bonus, which the swords have (and I agree with, or it would be too good). This does not in any way, shape or form reflect the truth of spear vs sword.

Quote:
quantum_mechani said:
*It lists the old lava warrior price wrong.
My bad, that one. You can probably blame it on being tired when I did that.

Quote:
quantum_mechani said:
*It lists some Ulm infantry as made cheaper when they were not, and leaves out the shield on one.
Sorry about the mistake with those two infantries. My bad. I left the shield out of the morningstar black plate infantry because it didn't fit, but added an abbreviation now.

Quote:
quantum_mechani said:
*It lists grand thoumaturg under Marignon.
That's because I forgot to delete that line after I'd used it to align the modifications column so that it would be in the same place as the others.

Fixed these, new readme attached here. Still lacks the heroes. See the email for details of why.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 381838-conceptbalance_nations_readme_v4_1.txt (31.7 KB, 241 views)