.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old December 16th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Corporal

Tyrian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Age of Wonders Mod

So you make the human of the first AOW?

The Air Galley is one of the most difficult unit to adapt, because they lost their main capacity: quick troops transport. The more close capacity is to give a supply bonus to all transport unit (Air galley, balloons and dwarwen tank). What do you think of this?
Old December 17th, 2007, 02:29 AM

Corporal

Professor_Dyar is on a distinguished road

Yeah, these are (primarily) based on the AoW1 Humans, although some AoW2 units might be added (the captain is similar enough to the swashbuckler).

Yeah, I'm not sure how to handle the air galley. It's a unit that has both flying and sailing. I don't think it will be produceable; it will probably be available in the Construction school. Probably air as primary and earth as secondary.

I'm also thinking of adding some Human heroes in a similar way.
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Corporal

Tyrian is on a distinguished road

Good idea to make it associate with construction school.

A default with sailing is that only troops with the commander (and in this case, the Air galley must be a commander) benefit from the sailing capacity. So if you have commander without sailing with the air galley, they can't follow the galley. It's frustating ^^'
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:18 AM

Corporal

Been busy.

Now, here is a question: I am considering making heroes summonable to the different races and nations, instead of having them sometimes spontaneously appear the way that existing Dominions heroes work. This would mean that they are more reliable, but it also means that you wouldn't get extremely powerful heroes early in the game that would unbalance things. However, here is the question: suppose that the hero is killed. Could you just summon him again (even if he is unique)?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:40 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

If you make them unique, which is doable, you could just resummon them, yes.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:43 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Heroes are not unique, but only appear once because they have been designated as national heroes by the #hero1-5 command. IF they die, you could wish for them again and get a shiny new one. If you have a summoning spell, e.g. Abysia could summon 15x Ba'al Chozron and Sauromatia as many Circes as it liked and so on. So making them summonable is a bad idea.

By the way, if you haven't been around, there's a new reorganized modding manual out as a result of a project of mine. Thought you could find that useful. You can find it by following the link in my sig.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:29 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

It's relatively easy to make them unique though. The actual units. Then you can offer them as a summon, though of course they can be resummoned if killed then.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:23 PM

Corporal

Thanks Edi!

Here is what I am thinking: Julia will be available for least seven different nations. I could make her a hero for each unit, a unique summon, or both. If she's a hero, the she could appear multiple times (one for each nation), but each nation would get her only once, but it would be unpredictable when and if she would appear. If she's a summon, then I could restrict access to her by requiring research, magic paths, and magic gems, to acquire her, and I could make her unique, but if she dies, she could be summoned (resurrected?) anew, and moreover, another nation could probably swipe her away since she is available to multiple nations. I could of course do both: make a hero Julia and a unique summon Julia with a different unit number. Here, of course, there really could be two of her, if you both get her as a hero and summon her, but if you do get her as a hero, she can't be swiped from under your nose by another player casting the same summon. A final thing I can do, of course, is just add Julia to the list of female names - of course, then there could again be more than one Julia, but that could be explained that they are different people who just happen to have the same name!

Speaking of which, I'm trying to understand how heroes are named. Are the name tables reiterated for each nation, or how do you make sure that a hero has a specific name? I don't see a #heroname command. Are the custom name lists specific to each nation, i.e. if I, say, give the Elves two heroes (say, Julia and Elric), and give the Dark Elves two heroes (Meandor and Melenis), would modding name lists 127 and 128 separately for the Elves and Dark Elves respectively allow me to ensure these names? Certainly the nations in the game have heroes with specific names, many of them more than two such heroes!
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

There's no way to do extensive name modding for individual heroes, because each hero requires a separate nametype with just one entry. There are not nearly enough free nametypes. Existing hero names are hardcoded.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:39 PM

Corporal

Hm - that's a problem. What happens if I give a hero a name from one of the custom name lists, but the list is blank? Could I name the unit the name of a hero?

Also, which do you think would work better for my purposes: seven different nations each with a hero for Julia, or a unique Julia summon available to those seven nations?

Last, I'm curious, but I want to know approximately how powerful to make AoW heroes. What stats/abilities/magic would you give to Julia? How would you represent her armor?