.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 6th, 2008, 04:16 AM

Corporal

spirokeat is on a distinguished road
Default Mictlan early age prophet query

I've wondered this for a long time and never been able to find out.

A prophet spreads domain in a similar way to a pretender only less vigorously.

Mictlan domain does not spread domain unless blood sacrifice is made.

So, 2(3) queries.

Does the Mictlan god spread domain at all?

Does the prophet spread domain at all?

Or is it just priests who can't spread through prayer in the normal way and the gods and prophet are not subject to the domain spread restriction.

Any help is grateful.
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:41 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mictlan early age prophet query

Mictlan god and prophet should both spread dominion in the normal manner, not requiring blood sacrifice.
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:50 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

The manual, on page 93, give the basic details:

Mictlan's home province, temples, and prophet do not spread dominion. Mictlan's god spreads dominion, but is only half as effective as other gods.

However, if you left-click on your Temple with non-Mictlan, you normally see:

Conversion Rates
God 30
Prophet 10
Home Province 10
Temples 10 (Can be 10 * number of temples)
Victory Points 0 (Can be 5 * number of victory points)

For Mictlan you see:

Conversion Rates
God 10
Prophet 0
Home Province 0
Temples 0 (temples do not spread dominion)
Victory Points 0 (victory points do not spread dominion)

So, Mictlan's God's dominion spread may be 1/3rd as effective, not 1/2, as the manual says.

Also, I ran a test. 2 nations, one Agartha, one Mictlan. Both with a Dom10 god. Mictlan blood sacrificing 3 slaves every month at the temple.

That should be 3 temple checks for Mictlan at Dom10, plus either one automatic increase or one temple check for the god; versus one automatic increase and 5 temples checks for Agartha (5 = god+god+prophet+home+temple).

But Mictlan's dominion spread equaled Agartha's. This was on Glory of the Gods, up to 40 turns.

Conclusion: I don't know the exact details of how it works, Mictlan should have ended up with less dominion than Agartha. But blood sacrificing is a really great way to spread dominion!

Edit: Repeated the test, this time with Dom3 god for both nations. Same result:

Mictlan sacrificing 3 slaves per month with an awake god and alive prophet, equals any other nation with equal dom pretender, one temple, awake god and alive prophet.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:13 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

Actually, Mictlan prophet is nothing more than a level 3 priest. That's why I often make a prophet from the indy commander. Tribal king has better uses (he levies slaves)and making a prophet from level 3 priest to get holy 4 very often seems a waste of power to me (especially for a race that mainly uses high-morale sacreds). For Mictlan prophet is nothing more than smite caster. And that's an important thing to understand.
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:17 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

What are the disadvantages of making the scout your prophet? That's what I usually do, and I'm curious if there's a reason I shouldn't.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:23 AM

Corporal

spirokeat is on a distinguished road

Thanks all,

I hadn't noticed the section in the new manual.
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:30 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
vfb said:
What are the disadvantages of making the scout your prophet? That's what I usually do, and I'm curious if there's a reason I shouldn't.
You might have seen all the other bonuses a prophet gets? For instance greater health and MR etc. all based on dominion.
So if you can recruit a "thuggable" commanders you can make him even better. He also "carries" with him dominion into enemy land making him an ideal conquerer.
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:32 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
vfb said:
No disadvantages and almost always I tend to do so. But the reason I don't make scout my prophet with Mictlan is that I can't benefit from stealthy dominion spread, because prophet is nothing more than priest. Also, scouts are rather rare in early era and that's another reason to let scout do his primary job and not support armies.
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:52 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Dedas said:
Quote:
vfb said:
You might have seen all the other bonuses a prophet gets? For instance greater health and MR etc. all based on dominion.
So if you can recruit a "thuggable" commanders you can make him even better. He also "carries" with him dominion into enemy land making him an ideal conquerer.
Not with Mictlan))
I generally find a bad idea making a thug from your prophet because thug should normally be used for fighting in enemy dominions.
There's one more pro for making a prophet(upd. was "thug") from national Mictlan commander - they've got forest survival and indy commander hasn't. I played early Mictlan before 3.10 and then indy commander as a prophet seemed to be a good idea.
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

I never wrote that you should make a prophet thug from a recruitable Mictlan commander. I just answered his question in general.

Also, having your prophet spearheading an assault into enemy dominion could be advantageous as you get the dominion bonus from the province you attack from. Then you have to withdraw him or start preaching in the newly taken province of course.