.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 15th, 2007, 06:11 PM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road
Default Unit limits? (Freespawn)

I've noticed something odd.

Glory of the Gods, SP, I'm playing LA Ryleh. I started in the southwest ocean. Ermor is in the south landmass.

I took the water up to the northwest ocean but I didn't enter it at first because that would have picked a fight I wasn't interested in fighting at the time. I took the land to my west up to about halfway up.

These areas keep accumulating gobs and gobs of freespawn.

After taking those areas I pushed north to the water, then took the northwest ocean and then I pushed across the top of the world.

I'm finishing up the temples on the northeast and pushing south from there into Ermor (the only opponent left now.) The entire left part of the map has been mine at dominion 10 for quite a while now. Strangely, though, the freespawn were only showing up in the areas I originally took.

I have repeatedly hauled the freespawn out of the water and a couple of times I've taken a couple of thousand of them from the land to the west. The provinces fill right back up. In the dominion-10 area to the northwest, though, most provinces don't have a single freespawn in them.

Now that I'm fighting Ermor I've been using them up a lot faster--I've got two mages continually porting 500 or so units at a time to the battlefront. Only after I started feeding them to the grinder like this did freespawn start to show up in other areas and even then it looks like it's somehow a factor of distance from my start point, more recently taken areas that are closer to home are getting them in preference to the more distant but older lands.

I'm wondering if there's some sort of limit on the number of units and once there are that many out there it doesn't spawn any more?

And is there any good answer to the incredible slowness of the army setup editor when you're dealing with thousands of units? 5 to 10 seconds from click to reaction gets annoying! I have to use big armies, he's got multiple provinces with over 2000 units in them.
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:24 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unit limits? (Freespawn)

The slowness of the army setup is related to the game loading each and every unit on the screen as a separate object, which clogs it up if there is such a crapton of them. Much like the Nation overview used to freeze in Dom2 if you had to many sites discovered.

There is also a hard limit in the game for the maximum number of units that can exist at the same time. If the limit is reached, nobody can recruit or summon more until some have died off. In Dom2 the limit was 32k, and for Dom3 it was raised. Apparently not enough if people are running up against it again, because that's what it looks like.
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:57 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

The slowness could be prevented by changing the army setup screen to use counters to display numbers of units. Right now it's not a very good design if you have more than the 'normal' number of troops.

But that might not be something the Devs are bothered enough about to patch.
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:06 AM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

I posted a suggestion on this a while back:
http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/thr...=&fpart=1&vc=1
Map Forge - Map editor