.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 11th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conceptual Balance Mod 1.6

I just got an idea to make the Panganea and Man spell songs to actually do something. Currently those spells are just too niche to really do anything (except for Soothing Song, it can occasionlly be useful). What if we made them into "cloud" spells that lasted say 2 turns? The current AoE's could be reduced and still have them useful. I admit that there are some spells that could be problematic (Tune of Growth mostly), but you could make it "def resists" to keep it balanced. I think it's not much of a strecth to assume that the haunting melody of the song could have an effect even after the caster has "stopped" singing.
Old April 11th, 2010, 12:45 PM

BANNED USER

pyg is on a distinguished road

Minor request: Could the Hero Blade be renumbered higher, say like 850 or so. This would make combineMods.py work better with it without having to figure out a crazy multi-line regex for one item in one mod.

Last edited by pyg; April 11th, 2010 at 01:13 PM..
Old April 11th, 2010, 01:10 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Did anyone ever actually bother to do a chopped up version of CBM 1.6 to Pretenders, Spells, Nations, Heroes etc?

If they didn't, I've got a chopped up version though all components use the CBM Complete banner and some have been mashed together (like Pretenders & Scales). Also placed the CBM Indies in a separate mod so that it's easier to use Better Independents with the other parts.

If anyone is interested in making the banners for the separate pieces, it'd be trivial to post them.

Also, one note of complaint:

Any weapons and armor definitions should be at the very beginning of the mod before any monster or spell modifications. This helps avoid mod bugs. Especially in a project like CBM where not everyone wants to use everything, it would be easiest if that section was first, because then copying and pasting it to all the necessary chopped up sections (Pretenders, Nations, Spells, Independents) would be much easier.

As it is, chopping things up was a real hassle yesterday.
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

A call for opinions.....

Assuming this is possible for CBM to do, what do people think about the idea of swapping LA Man's starting gem income of 2 Nature gems for something they can actually use instead.

Since having now checked to be sure, it appears LA Man are the only nation in the game who have a starting gem income that does not match any of the paths on their national mages. This seems mighty odd to me, as they'd surely be better off starting with Fire, Astral or Earth income instead of the Nature they currently have (to go with the 2 Air they also get).

Plus this change would bring them back in line with the matching "starting gem income-national mage" relationship that is standard for every other nation.
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:13 AM

Corporal

Festin is on a distinguished road

Will the next version of CBM actually ever be released? To me, it looks like this excellent mod was forsaken by its creator. Any news from him?
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

Digress is on a distinguished road

Have blood sites been removed somehow or am I just really unlucky ?

I haven't found a single blood site in two games playing with the current version of CBM.
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:34 AM

Corporal

Globu is on a distinguished road

Not in my experience. I've been getting them with CBM in a number of SP games.
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

Digress is on a distinguished road

Just my luck then ... damn.
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:39 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
A call for opinions.....

Assuming this is possible for CBM to do, what do people think about the idea of swapping LA Man's starting gem income of 2 Nature gems for something they can actually use instead.

Since having now checked to be sure, it appears LA Man are the only nation in the game who have a starting gem income that does not match any of the paths on their national mages. This seems mighty odd to me, as they'd surely be better off starting with Fire, Astral or Earth income instead of the Nature they currently have (to go with the 2 Air they also get).

Plus this change would bring them back in line with the matching "starting gem income-national mage" relationship that is standard for every other nation.

They might be considered an exception that proves the rule, like pythium getting 8 gems in MA.

But then I think pythium should be taken down to 5 gems as well.
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
A call for opinions.....

For balance, sure, makes sense.

For thematic reasons, though, there should definitely be nature income because after all, it's basically sites taken over from the now departed Tuatha. The fact that the impudent usurping humans don't comprehend how to best use and control the ancient faerie magics is perfectly appropriate.

I oppose this on thematic grounds.
Brainless Soulless - a fix for Life after Death/Ankh "exploit", Bogarus Scout Fix