.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 17th, 2009, 12:47 AM

Captain

sansanjuan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bug Thread: Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
Are you playing LE-Rylleh?
Nope. LA Arco

Have not taken advantage of the opportunity as it is an MP game though it would be fun to make my alive and well Prophet a "Prophet" and potentially have a 4H caster.
-ssj

"I yam what I yam" - Popeye
Old April 18th, 2009, 04:36 AM

Sergeant

Reay is on a distinguished road

I have a battle in a turn that keeps crashing my game in the exact same place every time I replay it. I will send the turn and mods to Illwinter.
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:06 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Have you looked at the crash message from the debug output? If there are mods involved, it's likely a missing sprite graphic or something like that.
Emergency comic relief
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:09 PM

Sergeant

Reay is on a distinguished road

The player I am fighting also says it crashes to desktop as soon as it gets to the specific point in the battle. I have sent all the necessary files to Illwinter. There are no crash messages in the debug output so it is quite strange.
Old April 20th, 2009, 04:41 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

I looked through the bug shortlist and didn't see this, nor do I remember reading about it from anywhere else, so hopefully I'm not boring people with an already known bug.

In SP games I've occasionally noticed that it seems like the AI's armies can take provinces that they should have to fight your armies for. Your armies are lined up, you and the computer advance on each other and your armies pass through each other, taking the province they were just at and vice versa. For a long time I just assumed I was misremembering how our lines were drawn up and let them sneak through somehow, but I just watched another player dealing with the same thing and I am sure that something funny is going on. Unfortunately I don't have turn files to show this bug in action, I was not really thinking about it at the time and such bugs tend to be hard to reproduce.

I am not quite sure what it is letting them do so. I notice that it tends to happen when they have armies in multiple provinces that could attack your one province. So perhaps it has something to do with attacking one province from several at once? This most certainly has nothing to do with stealth units sneaking in as the nations involved were MA Ulm and Ashdod.

Either that, or occasionally the army size reports you get are horribly, horribly distorted to the point where small armies look huge and vice versa.
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:25 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

The size display thing is really random if it goes out of whack (such as when you see enemy reports of your own armies), but when it works as it should, the variation if 50% to 200% of actual size, so there is a lot of scope for different reports of fairly small armies. 50 enemies can look like 25 or 100. When this thing bugs, it's rarely repeatable, but sending a turn when it occurs to IW could help.

The army movement stuff is strange. There should be at least one battle, in the province you move to if nowhere else. If you use something to back up your turns and you encounter this, please send the files to IW per the insturctions in the shortlist thread.
Old April 20th, 2009, 06:03 AM

General

The kind of size difference I'm specifically referring to is pretty large. For example, there might be an army that says it's ~40 and one that's 150+, and then the next turn, your army that was attacking the 150+ army's province had a battle against some pd and whatever was left in the province, and 150+ enemy units are in the province you just left. So if it is just the size of armies displaying very strangely in two provinces at once, it's just a bit frustrating and something I guess you have to plan for. It really seems though like they're actually circumventing your army and ending up in your province somehow. If they're actually getting behind you without fighting your army, that's a particularly annoying sort of bug.

To clarify I was reporting this as one bug and just speculating on possible reasons for what I was seeing to happen. Unfortunately I don't back up my turns, I wish I could provide a good example of that bug because the AI abuses it pretty well.
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:29 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Due to the recent patch I have been fighting a *lot* of battles in the void.

It says things like... Vastness attacks Guido.

Every single combat actually has TWO enemies. The vastness (mentioned) and a lesser horror.

Is this right?

Whatever the battle, it could be say.. Greater Otherness, or Doom Horror or .. whatever.. there is the named critter... *and* a lesser Horror.

And the lesser horror always places about mid field, toward the back...

Anyone else see this?
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:38 PM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road

chris: I assume you have units that were lost in the void? If so, they were fighting enemies in the void BEFORE the patch, but now you can see.

rdonj: That is WAD. Two armies moving to the other's territories have a cahcen of missing each other. If they do, they fight in the territories they were moving to. If they don't miss (in general, larger armies should miss less) then there is a 50% chance that they fight in either territory.

If you are attacked from multiple directions and your army manages to leave it's territory it will not defend against the attackers, so that is another way to miss fighting the enemy.

Just to be clear - the AI has nothing to do with this. Any player moving towards you might just pass by instead.
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:09 PM

General

Well, I wasn't sure if it was just the AI or not, because I had never seen or heard of that happening in an mp game. But it does make sense that it would not just be the AI.

That said, I looked at the manual and you're right. I don't know how happy I am that it's WAD, but now that I know it's not a bug I can be happier with it. All it said about what can cause armies to miss each other is "size and terrain", but it didn't say how. Does anyone know exactly how this works?