.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:30 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bug Thread: Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
Bug: Rylley dreamlands description says that Mind lords are immune to insanity. They are not, but probably should be.
They're not. They have so-called "void sanity", like a bunch of other creatures, which gives them a higher chance at being unaffected by the insanity dom effect. I'd rather change the description, if there's the need.
Emergency comic relief
Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:34 AM

General

Quote:
three provinces, each with 5 lilots.
Supposedly, each lilot has misfortune 20
No, they don't. Their description doesn't seem to suggest anything in that regard. What gave you that idea? All they have is the succubus seduction. Maybe you're thinking of Likho (#1952), instead?
Emergency comic relief
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:40 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
Quote:
three provinces, each with 5 lilots.
Supposedly, each lilot has misfortune 20
No, they don't. Their description doesn't seem to suggest anything in that regard. What gave you that idea? All they have is the succubus seduction. Maybe you're thinking of Likho (#1952), instead?
yes, that is the correct unit (likho). I posted from the road and misremembered the name.

I'm going to try a game with two human players and see what that reveals.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:45 AM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Quote:
Bug: Rylley dreamlands description says that Mind lords are immune to insanity. They are not, but probably should be.
They're not. They have so-called "void sanity", like a bunch of other creatures, which gives them a higher chance at being unaffected by the insanity dom effect. I'd rather change the description, if there's the need.
Yeah, I don't care either way, update the description or the effect.

Logically, creatures from from the meteor should all be immune to the void sanity. But there is a huge difference between the mages and the non mages. Ie., star-children which you would expect to be less immune than the parents are actually more immune than the mind lords.

I have never seen a starchild, the top mage, or the top priest go insane. The mind lords on the other hand go insane regularly.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:24 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Logically, creatures from from the meteor should all be immune to the void sanity. But there is a huge difference between the mages and the non mages. Ie., star-children which you would expect to be less immune than the parents are actually more immune than the mind lords.

I have never seen a starchild, the top mage, or the top priest go insane. The mind lords on the other hand go insane regularly.
Sometime when I get around to going through all the voidsanity ratings, I'll smack you over the head with them to show you what they are. Some beings have lower, some have higher, but unless the rating is 20, they're not immune. Only Void creatures and a couple of others have it at 20.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:26 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Ranged weapon bug: Playing Dom3k and sombre's Broken Swords Jomon mod, I have noticed that some of the ranged weapons just do not work as advertised. You will see ranged units waiting 2 turns to begin using their ranged weapons, and then despite having ~40 turns of ammo will go rushing into melee after maybe 10 turns of shooting. Luckily I haven't seen that yet with sombre's mod as the crimson twins are not terribly durable, but I've seen it enough in dom3k that I'm pretty sure it would happen there as well. My best guess is that it's related to how far the ranged weapon can fire. Instead of firing at things within their range, they stand still for 2 turns. Not moving, not firing... they just sit there. Then they'll start shooting. I haven't tested thoroughly to see if they'll fire at the beginning of a battle if they're within a certain range of the enemy or not, it would be interesting to see if that changed the result any.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:21 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Sometime when I get around to going through all the voidsanity ratings, I'll smack you over the head with them to show you what they are. Some beings have lower, some have higher, but unless the rating is 20, they're not immune. Only Void creatures and a couple of others have it at 20.
I look forward to being smacked. I don't know void sanity ratings, but I do know for game purposes, Ryllahs nonslave mages dont go crazy.

Could be because I play void lurkers with 9 astral and since they're sacred they get the +4 mr and hence make the save.. don't know. Just know the mind lords do go crazy. Often.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:32 PM

Private

Ornedan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"getmany" is the function used to read data in bulk, for the data structures in the game files. It sounds like the game overwrote your fatherlnd turn files, but couldn't complete the write process because they grew too big, so now they're incomplete and useless. I hope you have backups. If not, you always should make backups.
This sounds like a bug. It should be possible to avoid data loss by doing something like:
Code:
write("fatherlnd.new", fatherlnd_data)
fsync
rename("fatherlnd.new", "fatherlnd")
fsync
which should ensure that data loss can only happen due to a crash during the rename. In all other cases, either old or new state is intact and in place.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:10 PM

General

Ornedan, I actually was under the impression that something like that was already in place. I think I did encounter full HDDs myself, without data loss. I have no idea what exactly happened in the case of MrGraves, just that his files are probably damaged.
Emergency comic relief
Old April 25th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Sergeant

Reay is on a distinguished road

Should the Elixir of Life be able to be used with Golems? Seems strange that it works with lifeless units.