.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 6th, 2012, 04:32 AM

Sergeant

Doo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

As the game releases soon, whats the situation with a forum? Will there be a specific Illwinter/Conquest of Elysium 3 section on these forums? Or will there be a migration elsewhere?

People purchasing the game will have questions that need posing on a forum, where will it be done?

Perhaps I should be more patient and find out...
Old February 6th, 2012, 05:29 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

That is a decision to be made by Illwinter and if we are to have a dedicated CoE3 forum here, it must be discussed with Shrapnel. Otherwise we're in for a migration.
Old February 6th, 2012, 08:32 AM

Corporal

onomastikon is on a distinguished road

This is looking very very promising to me. Boy do I hope the AI is competant and the tactical battles aren't too inferior to Dom3's.

May I ask: During setup, can one choose more than one instance of one nation in a game? That is, could I have 3 teams, and one team be made up of an alliance of TWO witches (or Bakemons or whatever)? Or have two witches play against each other?
(While I understand that this wouln't make too much sense in Dom3 for a couple of reasons, I'd really hope for that here.)

thank you.
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:13 AM

If you want, you can set all the players to the same class. However, with some classes this may cause problems or limit options:

- High Priestess: Baal is unique, therefore can be summoned only by one player
- Demonologist: Demon lords are unique, therefore only limited number available
- Troll King: Not sure of Troll Mum is unique, if she is, then only one Troll King per map is advisable. This has been raised with the devs.

The other classes have no such problems.
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:16 AM

Corporal

Strabo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wow, for some reason I find this not a problem, but an interesting feature. I think it can create some fun races against time. But it's just me.
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:49 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Yes the game is perfectly willing to throw multiples of a nation into the game. That causes some fun AAR style moments. When your cocky dwarf army is going strong then runs into another dwarf army wearing a different color. It seems as though my worst situations have been from meeting a matching nation. Or when you have been fighting hard against a Troll King and the game announces that Gundar the Troll King is out of the game. But when you look, your opponents armies are still there because it was a different Troll King.

It might create some interesting games later. A more standard DnD style wargame by everyone playing Barons? Or a challenge game where all of the Warlock players tries to prove who is the BEST Warlock player.
Old February 6th, 2012, 10:27 AM

Corporal

ArkhanTheBlack is on a distinguished road

How are the classes and the races connected? Both Baron and Necromancers sound like human leaders just with opposite alignments (Good & Evil).

Can units get better besides giving them equipment. Most games use experience for that, though Dom3 doesn't have experience. Another, much cooler way would be something like Thing of Unreason eating units or a specific resource and getting more powerful from it.
That would make units more unpredictable if they can vary a bit in power.
(Anyone remember the crabs in Magic Carpet that could turn to Monster Crabs and multiply if they eat enough mana?!)

How dynamic is the environment? I heard something about death mushrooms growing on ancient battle fields. Is this static (=never changes) or can the field grow and spawn bigger more dangerous mushrooms like a mushroom mother if you don't clean it up in time. Would make things more interesting if you really have to care about the developments in your environment.
However, I'm aware that a 'living environment simulation' is not an easy thing to do.
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

Jack_Trowell is on a distinguished road

From what is known, the Baron is a fighter-type leader, with no spells but a stronger potential early in the game.

Some units, especially the leaders, can cast special rituels transforming them to a new unit type. It is know for exemple that with enough hands of glory a necromancer could become a vampire or a lich.

The vampire can feed on villages to reduce the insanity gained by casting necromantic rituals (or is it onlye "raise dead" that give insanity ?), while the lich is supposed to be immune to the insanity effect/status (but I think that you need a temple or some other terrain to cast this ritual).
The necromancer apprentice could also use similar rituals to become a full necromancer (and later a lich or vampire), but the cost in ressources would probably be huge.

From what I understand some non casters leaders might have ability to those rituals, the Troll king is supposed to be able to call its Mum who is a caster while himself isn't.
Dominions Map validator and randomizer : http://dominions.realites.org
Dominions Map editor v0.75b : http://dominions.realites.org/map_editor
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:22 AM

Dom3 has experience and so does CoE3, also implemented very much the same way. Veteran units are a lot better than newbies, but the problem is making them survive long enough. Many classes get tougher summons that benefit proportionally less from XP than the weaker units, but it is there. The problem of survivability is mainly with front line units, but even they will usually get to 1 star if you have a large enough pool. Getting to two stars is a lot more difficult.

As far as alignments, the baron is not some inherently "good" class. He's an ironfisted tyrant when you read the description. Necromancer, Demonologist, High Priestess, Priest King and Bakemono are more directly evil, to say nothing of the High Cultist.

But most of the classes are rather in a gray area.

As far as the environment, some monsters can multiply (like the death mushrooms), but they don't spread over the land uncontrolled. Some events can cause monster spawning etc and with scenarios, it's possible to construct almost anything in that way.
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:23 AM

Corporal

onomastikon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strabo View Post
Quote:
Wow, for some reason I find this not a problem, but an interesting feature. I think it can create some fun races against time. But it's just me.
I wholeheartedly agree. Perfect, in my eyes.