.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 6th, 2007, 04:48 PM

Sergeant

RamsHead is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kristoffer\'s encouragement thread

Quote:
Meglobob said:
Quote:
K said:
Kristoffer, this game is fantastic. Anytime that someone asks for a downward "balance change", I'd like you to feel free to ignore them.
Can I second this.

So many people complain about 'balance' and this usually results in a unit, spell etc... being nerfed, made vastly inferior than it was. This happens time and time again until eventually the game does become 'balanced', in such a way that noone plays it anymore, cause its boring. I have seen so many good games spoiled this way.
*points to vampires*

Anyway, keep up the good work Kristoffer!
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:10 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sombre said:
Edi: There's a mod which fixes bless.
Yeah, I know about that one. It's great thing to have in the interim but the actual issue needs fixing still. But now that the actual location of the problem is known, the fix shouldn't be too much work.

Edi
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:14 PM

Sergeant

SelfishGene is on a distinguished road

What we need to fix vampires is a new tag and ability that gives them mistform for free by default (like glamour gives 1 mirror image).
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Colonel

Velusion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Meglobob said:
Quote:
K said:
Kristoffer, this game is fantastic. Anytime that someone asks for a downward "balance change", I'd like you to feel free to ignore them.
Can I second this.

So many people complain about 'balance' and this usually results in a unit, spell etc... being nerfed, made vastly inferior than it was. This happens time and time again until eventually the game does become 'balanced', in such a way that noone plays it anymore, cause its boring. I have seen so many good games spoiled this way.
I've also seem games where balance was ignored and players simply stopped playing the game because unless you played a specific way you were at a distinct disadvantage.
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Velusion said: I've also seem games where balance was ignored and players simply stopped playing the game because unless you played a specific way you were at a distinct disadvantage.
Obviously this does not apply to Domnions as there are easily 100's of different ways to play/strategy's to try.
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

It could if all of the games were small maps and 2-4 players with no VP.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:48 PM

Colonel

Velusion is on a distinguished road

Eh, I can't bother to argue with fanboys that think Dominions3 is divinely perfect when it comes to balance. No point.

To Kris O - Dom3 is a great game and I hope you keep improving it!
Old March 6th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Or newbs stuck in one game type so they want everything tweaked to run perfectly in their style only.

But I agree that its a great game. (aint it cool that no matter what they all disagree with they can still all love the game?)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:40 AM

Sergeant

Beorne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Meglobob said:
Can I second this.
I can't understand. All the nations are unabalanced, it is not a balanced game (and we love it for this too) but there are very very unbalanced nations, that would be in the "normal unbalance range" with very small tweaks ... and someone (all single player, I think) oppose to this. I can't understand the reason, seriously.
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:07 AM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Beorne said:
Quote:
Meglobob said:
Can I second this.
I can't understand. All the nations are unabalanced, it is not a balanced game (and we love it for this too) but there are very very unbalanced nations, that would be in the "normal unbalance range" with very small tweaks ... and someone (all single player, I think) oppose to this. I can't understand the reason, seriously.
I agree that if you zoom in on 1 nation vs another nation you will find inbalance between them. However, take a step back and look at all the nations in a particular age, you find its very, very cleverly balanced overall.

My MP experience has shown this to be true. For exmaple in MA, Bander Log can destory MA Ulm very, very easily, but MA Agartha can destroy Bander Log easily. Another example EA Helheim can destroy EA Marverni easily but struggles badly against EA Atlantis who in turn struggles against EA Oceania. If you take the nations overall there is a balance.

This was discussed on another thread and in Dom3 you have 'face hugging' (think Alien the movie, attacks the nearest thing straight away), nations such as EA Helheim, MA Ermor, every era Mictlan vs the non-face hugging nations such as EA T'ien Ch'i, MA Arco etc...

Other factors also have a big effect, a face hugger will do well on a small map, a non-face hugger will do well on a large map. Also low gem sites will favour a face hugger (who does not rely on magic as much), well high gem sites favours a non-face hugger. Same with easy to hard research.