.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 10th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Sergeant

Stretch is on a distinguished road
Default Indies beseiging enemy fortress

I was mucking around in a single player game where a barbarian horde had beaten AI Atlantis' province defense and was beseiging a fortress. I had an army queued to advance on that province. When the turn hit, my scout saw AI atlantis beat the beseiging army. Then, my army got the province uncontested. Then, the Atlantis army breaking the siege fought my army as the attacker instead of the defender. It would seem that either I'd get the province uncontested and Atlantis would have to break siege again next turn (i.e. it's army being set to Defend after breaking the siege instead of patrolling) or Atlantis would beat the besieging army and then get the Defender advantage (right side of screen first to act).

Is this a bug or am I just missing something?
Old May 10th, 2009, 04:58 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Indies beseiging enemy fortress

Yes, I would classify it as a bug. Siege situations related to any kind of independents are full of screwy behavior that are at best functional in an unconventional manner but are simply out and out bugs most of the time. This seems to be another manifestation of the latter kind.
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I also wanted to post this. It is possible for a besieged castle to get a random indy attack. This has very strange effects.

I was the besieger of the castle, and after I stormed it, I was besieged by an indy army. (But you couldn't see that this army was there when I was still attacking it).
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Captain

Psycho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post
I was the besieger of the castle, and after I stormed it, I was besieged by an indy army. (But you couldn't see that this army was there when I was still attacking it).
Happened to me many times.
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:06 AM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

I've seen odd results of this sort, although without indies. I stormed an enemy fort, and my opponent I believe had a stealthy unit that created autospawn that stayed hidden. I took the castle, but found I had lost the province to the autospawn. I've certainly taken forts and been hit by a random province event that has meant my newly victorious army were then besieged in the fort by the event.

I'm guessing that in the OP, with Atlantis breaking siege and you attacking, it resolved like two separate nation's armies invading a third's province (ie. one random attacker verses the defender, and the winner faces the second attacker), the only error being that as your army moved in it reported an empty province.
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:20 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post
Yeah, I also wanted to post this. It is possible for a besieged castle to get a random indy attack. This has very strange effects.

This is the siege and indy events bug. When you siege, you only have partial control of the province. If an indy attack hits, the event goes to the besieged nation and the indies go to limbo. Once full control of province is restored to one side or another, the indie attack happens and locks the player into the castle.

It's been on the list forever and then some. All of these things worked just fine with Dom2, so I guess there is something about siege and province control mechanics that was changed at some point and that affected the indie events.