.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old May 7th, 2010, 10:01 AM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs and Vets II: Days of Infamy. MA, BI. 13/17. Blood Team Avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorus View Post
So, I vote to put the S team on AI, or use a new map (How hard is that?) that is "balanced" for three teams.

Jorus

PS
Personally - I am in no hurry, but I think this game is in great danger of dying a slow death unless we kick start it.
Agree. About a new map I think it's a particularly good idea in case we don't get replacement soon.
And as the starting map was initially random anyway, we could get a map with some more water provinces useful at least for merc player.
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:10 AM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs and Vets II: Days of Infamy. MA, BI. 13/17. AI Creation Phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lackGu4rd View Post
when did I mention your name specifically Wrana? what's with this sudden personal attack?

honestly, you either don't understand, or choose to ignore what is presented to you, but I certainly don't see how this decision was either sudden of childish. don't feel the need to repeat myself specifically for you, reread my posts if you wish, also scroll back further to see other posts by other people...
If you don't think that dropping out of the game without warning 2 days before start is sudden... well, maybe it's you who should reread your posts.
As for what you mentioned it were "many posts by people who want to start it soon". Mine (actually, 2 I think) was certainly from this category. If you meant "posts by players X and Y from team Z", you probably should say so, nes pa? And if you think that the game could start before all positions were filled (and I, e.g. took a vacant leutenant position for my team) - how I should call this if not childish? It's children who want something without caring for whether it's currently possible or no... :
No, I didn't even start any personal attack...
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:26 AM

Sergeant

Numahr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrana View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorus View Post
So, I vote to put the S team on AI, or use a new map (How hard is that?) that is "balanced" for three teams.

Jorus

PS
Personally - I am in no hurry, but I think this game is in great danger of dying a slow death unless we kick start it.
Agree. About a new map I think it's a particularly good idea in case we don't get replacement soon.
And as the starting map was initially random anyway, we could get a map with some more water provinces useful at least for merc player.
If a new map can be created balanced for 3 Human teams, then we could still keep the Sanguinarium team under AI control, somehow located in a way that it does not "unbalance" the game for human teams.
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:34 AM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road

sorry Wrana, I didn't know the world(or well, at least these forums) revolve around you. my bad... yes I did mention your name specifically in that quote, how can I be so blind?[/sarcasm]

now seriously, it wasn't sudden because the issue was already raised before by various other players, and it was actually brewing for quite some time now... so if you didn't see it coming it's your fault, nobody else's... also, even if you didn't expect it you should have still seen it coming, seeing how many needless delays happened in this game, even after all 17 slots were filled!

so, yes it was very possible to start more than a week ago, hence this argument of yours, just like your other arguments, fail miserably. oh it was indeed a personal attack, no matter how you try to coat it... maybe it was mild, maybe you try to color it nicely, but you can't deny that you stuck your nose where it didn't belong and indeed made a personal attack. now, I won't really ask this nicely of you, since you started this whole thing, so I'll just say it roughly: butt off!
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:37 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

I am glad to see that people are still interested in playing.

Lets keep this thread positive and constructive.

If everyone wants to start playing on schedule, we have two viable options failing replacment humans. I am not going to get into map changing, start placements, VP recalibration, magic location redistribution, etc. I spent tons of time on the 4 four magic location AI alone.

1. The Sanguinarium nations under AI control is fine.

Having the Sangiunarium under AI control would probably not, in my opinion really unbalance things terribly. They'd be located in one of the corners like the other teams. They be subject to the attack of Gandalf's masterful AI just like the human teams (Gandalf's AI is between all teams). True two teams would be closer to them than the third team, what does that imply? That the closer teams would have a better chance at their territory any more than with a human team in that spot? That the closer teams would be under attack anymore than if a human team was there? The VPs could be removed for those caps if needed.

2. Alternatively we could just drop the sangiunarium team altogther and maybe even remove the VPs from those capitals. The merc would be able to get there before any of us could and would be able to play around with and expand in their stead.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:38 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Wrana, 13lackGu4rd, please be civil. There is no need for pointless hostility and insults.

This whole NaVII fiasco is generating entirely too many reports in the moderator forums. What this means is that right now I'm telling the lot of you how this thing goes forward:
  1. If any more sniping around this issue results in reports, all NaVII threads will be locked.
  2. Any attempts to resurrect the game in other threads will be locked
  3. The people involved in the sniping will get appropriate infractions
  4. You will get this game under way and you will make sure that there will be no more need for moderator involvement.
  5. If a need for moderator involvement arises, goto 1.

Septimius Severus, the following applies to you:

You will refrain from posting long involved complex game setups like this in the future because
  • They seem to generate a significantly undue amount of work for moderators
  • They seem to spawn threads all over the forum that amount only to advertise the specific game
  • They cause all kinds of frustration in other forum users, which are liable to generate bad repercussions on the forums
  • Spending weeks setting up what is supposed to be a simple, quick (relatively speaking, since Dom3 games take time) game is liable to drive people off.
  • The previous item is especially applicable to new users, who might be turned off the game entirely. This is something that is HIGHLY undesirable.

The bottom line is that organizing a Dominions 3 game is not difficult. Just keep it simple. There is NO point in making it needlessly bureaucratic, complex and tedious. If you absolutely must do so, organize it elsewhere.

If you have a problem with these guidelines, do not argue them with me. Talk to another Dominions 3 moderator or to an administrator in that case.
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:45 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thanks for the response Edi. I have asked players to remain constructive and positive. And have proposed two solutions to the issue of replacing a team in the above post.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showp...&postcount=325

No need to have the game die because of the loss of a team. No need for drastic actions. No need for any negative posting. I think dropping the Sangiunarium team all together might be the best solution of the two, though the AI is doable as well. Many people still wish to play the game and have invested much time into it. As long as we remain constructive here and positive (use our minds not our emotions) we can have a successful game.

So we can do #1 or #2 if you want to start soon. AI or no AI for the sangiunarium team. No big deal really. No fuss needed. No new maps needed. In either case the Merc will have the best shot at the empty location and would effectively fill the gap of the missing team. No AI for the Sanguinarium members means less resistance for them. The merc can get to that location on turn 1 if they need to and can pretty much grab most of the former teams provinces.

-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; May 7th, 2010 at 01:11 PM..
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Sergeant

Numahr is on a distinguished road

Dear Septimus,

I think it would be a pity to loose a team which adds flavor to the game, so I would suggest to have it AI-controlled rather than removed.

BTW, I enjoy the set up of this game, even if it resulted in complications on the forum. I understand, when joining this game, that team play and role-playing rules involve a bit more interactions than a straightforward game.

(maybe all these interactions could take place in the separate forum...)
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:24 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thank you Numahr for your vote of confidence in the concept and your vote. I think some people are attracted to the nuances and complexities of more involved games and everyone should certainly have the right to play in them. But I understand the mods must enforce civility rules.

I think if we allow people or set backs to derail us, we sorta let them win and prove us incorrect.

I have set up a poll on our team forums with the 2 choices above, you may also express any other opinions you have in that thread.

Last edited by Septimius Severus; May 7th, 2010 at 01:43 PM..
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:06 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

I want to say the following.
Being a realist, I find it hardly doable to find the good players for the whole Sang team in short terms. Also, while I was really interested initially, I've been losing my enthusiasm as the time passed just due to the obvious reasons mentioned above much more than once. Also, I nearly forgot all the things I've been thinking of a month ago. Now I'm just not sure that I want to play, also I'm not sure that my teammates want it. Also, I've recently got some real life changes that (hopefully for me) will not allow me spending all free time on thinking over the complex turns.
All that said, I again suggest to postpone this game and reawaken it later, maybe closer to autumn. Or to migrate it to something more simple and less time consuming (I'd gladly play a 2-player team game without complex rules, for example). The concept is good and I do like it as I liked it before but we indeed made some mistakes that made people lose enthusiasm. And if the plan doesn't work, it should be changed.
Regarding Edi's comment... It seems to be that different people like different games. If complex games can gather enough players, why not? But I'm agree that spawning of threads is a bad practice.