.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bug Thread: Discussion

The scout not being able to hide under siege is WAD.

The black heart not so much so, but it's an unintended consequence. Normally non-stealth units cannot be in a province under enemy control. A siege is an exception, since the province is contested. And assassination requires being present in a province controlled by the enemy.

So in a way it is WAD because I don't see any way to close that loophole unless units with assassination are required to have stealth the same way you can't mod units with holy magic unless they also have the sacred tag.
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:12 PM

Major

Micah is on a distinguished road

It's really WAD that a stealth unit can't hide in the province they're in, but they can sneak out to a different province entirely, while at the same time units can remain hidden or sneak into the sieged province from other provinces?

I don't understand why the single stealth order (hide without moving) is disabled while all the rest still work. Just curious what the reasoning is on it.
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:06 PM

First Lieutenant

Bananadine is on a distinguished road

The inability to hide was actually a problem for me in a multiplayer game, incidentally--I'd intended to scuttle a besieged fortress by telling the researchers there to flee and leaving only one scout there, holding a bane venom charm. But my scout could not hide, so I made him sneak the charm into another province instead.

Of course, now that I know about this limitation, it probably won't ever significantly trouble me again. It's not hard to work around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
So in a way it is WAD because I don't see any way to close that loophole unless units with assassination are required to have stealth the same way you can't mod units with holy magic unless they also have the sacred tag.
Hm well that sounds fine! Wouldn't that be fine? I mean, assuming as always that it's trivial to implement the change, which it presumably (as nearly always) is really not.

When would it make sense, fictionally, for a non-stealthy assassin to exist? I can imagine there being a sort of "defensive turret" unit that would have the assassin ability (without help from magical items), due to its possession of an extremely long-range sniping weapon, like maybe a bow that fired Seeking Arrows. ...Except then it would be hard to justify actually putting the unit on the battlefield during an assassination attempt, because it would be firing from inside the fortress. Hm okay that makes no sense after all.

Well, what about some kind of a "monster of the castle" that could magically hunt down any prey it chose... but only when it began within its home and power source, the fortress? Haha magic justifies anything. I think that could work!

I'm just playing around with these ideas, you understand. This message is not a bug report (or a feature request).
Old September 14th, 2009, 08:01 AM

Corporal

zzcat is on a distinguished road

Creatures with 2nd shape are immune to Beckoning. But the spell description says its target "have a chance of disappearing forever into the forest" so they should just disappear regardless how many shapes they have...
Old September 14th, 2009, 08:13 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

You sure you didn't try it on a bunch of units with forest survival? Like skinshifters or jag warriors?
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:53 PM

Corporal

zzcat is on a distinguished road

I tried it with 100 hydra hatchlings. None of them were killed but some unit got afflictions anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
You sure you didn't try it on a bunch of units with forest survival? Like skinshifters or jag warriors?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zzcat For This Useful Post:
Old September 20th, 2009, 05:17 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Is it WAD that you are allowed to cast Crumble on your own forts?

I know the Crumble spell itself is already broken, but if it is ever fixed, it might be worth adding a restriction for it to be un-castable on your own provinces. As I can not see how casting Crumble on yourself could ever have any benefit, and the only purpose it could possibly serve is to allow forts to be more easily gifted to another player. And this only opens up a huge cans of worms, as recently witnessed in a MP game.
Old September 20th, 2009, 06:18 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Naiads (U1226) are supposed to lose HP and eventually die if they live in a province other than where they were summoned. They continue to lose 1HP per turn if you just give them a regen item. But if you give them a regen item and a fever fetish, they no longer lose 1HP per month.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old September 20th, 2009, 12:08 PM

First Lieutenant

K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
Naiads (U1226) are supposed to lose HP and eventually die if they live in a province other than where they were summoned. They continue to lose 1HP per turn if you just give them a regen item. But if you give them a regen item and a fever fetish, they no longer lose 1HP per month.
That's weird and awesome.
Old September 27th, 2009, 04:20 PM

First Lieutenant

Bananadine is on a distinguished road

Queen of the Sea has 100% darkvision--even more than is possessed by most Atlantians, who are supposed to live in the deeps--but Queen of the Deeps has no darkvision at all. I think there's a bug in there somewhere.

Misleading wording bug: Water queens are described as having 100% regeneration underwater--"she will heal all her wounds"--but they actually have 50-90% regeneration. One might change the aforementioned phrase to "she will most likely heal all her wounds"; that would be correct, I think....