.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 4th, 2007, 06:05 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Many BUGS: Weapons, Armor & Items

While I was compiling the lists of weapons, armor and the preliminaries on magic items, I discovered the following bugs:

WEAPONS
  • 3 Trident: 1-handed, should be 2-handed ?
  • 53 Delibitative Poison: typo, should be spelled "Debilitative Poison"
  • 81 Thorn Staff: 1-handed, should be 2-handed (all other staffs are)
  • 83 Wave Breaker: 1-handed, should be 2-handed (item is 2-handed)
  • 89 Snake Staff: 1-handed, should be 2-handed (all other staffs are)
  • 94 Spear: should be bonus (nostr bonus weapon for Centaur Chariot from chariot rider)
  • 96 Spear: should be bonus (nostr bonus weapon for Centaur Chariot from chariot rider)
  • 119 Hammer of the Cyclops: should not be nostr ?
  • 124 Ice Rod this weapon is not magic, but it should be
  • 165 Great Club resource cost 0, should perhaps be 1 ?
  • 195 Sword of many Colors: typo: should be written "Sword of Many Colors"
  • 208 Thunder Whip: 10 an damage, shock only? Or should be 0 (max 1) + shock ?
  • 223 Venomous Bite: not bonus, should be as all other bites are.
  • 323 Venomous Bite: not bonus, should be as all other bites are.
  • 340 Procas's Axe of Rulership: 2-handed, should be 1-handed
  • 351 Pitchfork: 1-handed, should be 2-handed
  • 389 Pearl Trident: 1-handed, should be 2-handed ?
  • 401: Soul Death: should have "magic resistance negates", otherwise all hits from weapon #400 (Devour Soul) mean instadeath with no resistance
  • 407 Fire Shuriken: loses Strong Poison ?
  • 411 Small Area Stun: is NOT stun damage!!! This deals an automatic 10 points of armor negating normal damage with aoe 1, making O'al Kan's Sceptre a rather nasty tool.
  • 433 Shadow Spear: rescost 0, should have rescost 1+ because is equipped on recruitable units (Shadow Vestal)
  • 437 Long Spear: should be bonus (another nostr bonus weapon)
  • 457 Spectral Axe: 2-handed, should be 1-handed (length 1, damage as per normal 1-handed axe)
  • 459 Thrown Sutra: should have effect #460 (Stop the Dead) as per description of Master of the Dead (monster #806)

ARMOR
  • 31 Rusty Scale mail Hauberk: should be "Rusty Scale Mail Hauberk"
  • 32 Rusty Ring mail Hauberk: should be "Rusty Ring Mail Hauberk"
  • 33 Rusty Chain mail Hauberk: should be "Rusty Chain Mail Hauberk"
  • 76 Magic Bracers: cannot be assigned to units via mod command even when using the command #armor "armorname" correctly
  • 77 Cat Charm: cannot be assigned to units via mod command even when using the command #armor "armorname" correctly
  • 78 Krupp's Bracers: cannot be assigned to units via mod command even when using the command #armor "armorname" correctly
  • 80 Flame Helmet: provides an extra 5 points of undefined type protection that goes to protect body as well
  • 94 Gift of Kurgi: Cannot be assigned to units via mod command even when using the command #armor "armorname" correctly

The typos in the armor names with "mail" spelled without capital letters are especially important typos to fix since currently assigning units armor by if number is not possible when modding. If spelling is inconsistent, this will result in errors. The preferable solution would be to have armor assignment in mods happen by number just like weapons do. Otherwise, the typos need to be fixed.

ITEMS
  • 99 The Sword of many Colors: typo, should be written "Sword of Many Colors"
  • 106 The Sickle whose Crop is Pain: typo, should be written "The Sickle Whose Crop Is Pain"
  • 279 Holger the Head: typo, in the description, "renonwed" should be "renowned"
  • 314 Igor K helm's Tome: typo, should be written "Igor Khelm's Tome" + this item has no description
The item name typos are important and annoying for the same reason the armor name typos are: it is impossible to assign weapons in map files by id number and hence inconsistent spelling will screw up map files. Thus the typos need to be fixed. Preferable solution would be the capability to assign items to commanders by number.

That's the list of bugs for weapons, armor and units so far. The item bug list is very short as of yet, but I expect more will be found when I really get down to documenting them.

I also have a growing list of unit bugs, some minor, some major, some just detail work, but I'll post it when I've done most of the DB so as to get everything at once. Having some idea of the schedule of the next patch would be great so I could submit that list before it comes out and hopefully have those things fixed for it.

The thing about all of these bugs is that as long as they are reported and documented as a block, it'll take no longer than one afternoon/evening to fix.

Edi
Old February 4th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Many BUGS: Weapons, Armor & Items

401: Soul Death: should have "magic resistance negates", otherwise all hits from weapon #400 (Devour Soul) mean instadeath with no resistance.

I dont think this is a bug. Devour Soul is only used by the C'tis national summon Devourer of Souls, Conjuration 9.
Old February 4th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

Flame helmet description seems to imply it should give general (not head) protection and so this doesn't look like a bug.
Old February 4th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

While I agree with most of what Edi says, some remarks about these:

3 Trident: 1-handed, should be 2-handed ?
83 Wave Breaker: 1-handed, should be 2-handed (item is 2-handed)
389 Pearl Trident: 1-handed, should be 2-handed ?

Tridents seem to be used 1-h - what makes sense as they are meant for short-range stabbing, not charge attacks.
On the other hand, the units are drawn using them 2-h and without a shield ..

81 Thorn Staff: 1-handed, should be 2-handed (all other staffs are)

There's a Thorn Spear and a Thorn Staff, the first 1-h the second 2-h. At least, that's how it should be (and was in Dom2). Did you check this ain't a mix-up?

165 Great Club resource cost 0, should perhaps be 1 ?

If you can get a knife for free, why should a big log should require a special effort to produce?

433 Shadow Spear: rescost 0, should have rescost 1+ because is equipped on recruitable units (Shadow Vestal)

This is a immaterial weapon - inherent to the unit. No need to produce it in a workshop ..

437 Long Spear: should be bonus (another nostr bonus weapon)

Why? It's simply a longer version of the spear and used by inf troops as a primary weapon ..

ARMOR
76 Magic Bracers: cannot be assigned to units via mod command even when using the command #armor "armorname" correctly
77 Cat Charm: cannot be assigned to units via mod command ..
78 Krupp's Bracers: cannot be assigned to units via mod command ..
94 Gift of Kurgi: Cannot be assigned to units via mod command ..

.. those are not armors, but misc items. You can't give a unit misc items, but only a hero. And that only via map command, not by mod command.
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sandman is on a distinguished road

# 223 Venomous Bite: not bonus, should be as all other bites are.
# 323 Venomous Bite: not bonus, should be as all other bites are.

I'm fairly sure that there are plenty of non-bonus bite attacks; skinshifters, for example.
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Arralen:

There are question marks on some of the entries for a reason: I was not sure whether they are bugs or not, hence they are listed with a marker for uncertainty that flags them as potential issues.

The Thorn Staff issue is a bug. It applies specifically to the 2-handed weapon.

The way these were tested was to take 20 different units each with a base rescost of 1 and fist as weapon, then modded to have one weapon and assigned as recruitable commanders. Then I made a map file where I had each of these commander types in the start province and each with a shield. If the unit showed Fist as its weapon when equipped with shield, the weapon is 2-handed. item plus a few other commanders used as mules for items. The thorn staff does not disappear when a commander is equipped with shield.

Note that it was impossible to test missile weapons this way because they behave differently: They do not disappear when shield is equipped, but disappear completely when any weapon item is equipped unless they are bonus.

Each weapon was tested for bonus status by handing the commander a fire brand in addition to the shield. If it stayed there, it's bonus, if not, it isn't.

You do have a point about the great club. I just included it for the sake of completeness. Note the question mark.

On the 437 longspear, pay more attention: The basic infantry long spear is #28 and includes strength for its damage and it is not bonus. 437, on the other hand, has fixed damage and does not include strength. It is used from the back of the late era Arcoscephale elephant. Because it is not a bonus weapon, the elephant gets -10 on both of its long spear attacks, which renders them as useless as if they did not exist. Same as the extra nostr spears on the centaur chariot. I am nothing if not thorough with this sort of documentation and that entry is there for a reason.

On the armors: Those four armors appear on the armor list because they are defined as armor types in the game and they are provided from the items of the same name. When equipped, the appropriate armor type appears on the unit, just as fire plate appears from that item (though e.g. the eagle king has it as intrinsic armor). Armors 76, 77, 78 and 94 are impossible to define as intrinsic armors via MOD because they refuse to appear. The Skull Necklace on the other hand does appear.

Those entries, like the 437 longspear entry, are there for a reason.

Sandman: You happen to be wrong. Skinshifters in their werewolf form have bite #20 and that one is a bonus weapon. Go and find me ANY bite weapon from the DB listing there otehr than 223 or 323 that does not have a value of TRUE in the bonus column, as determined by the testing method outlined above.

Edi
Old February 4th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sandman is on a distinguished road

Sorry, for some reason I thought that by bonus weapons, you meant 'no strength added' weapons.
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

Jack_Trowell is on a distinguished road

Tridents are indeed one handed : while some units looks like they use them with two hands (Illithid warriors for exemple), there are several Oceania units that fight with a trident and a shield (Mermydons for exemple)
Dominions Map validator and randomizer : http://dominions.realites.org
Dominions Map editor v0.75b : http://dominions.realites.org/map_editor
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:38 PM

That does not prevent Atlantean units from using Coral Glaives with a shield even though that weapon is truly two-handed. Just looking at unit stats does not tell you anything, because an intrinsic shield will have no effect on an intrinsic weapon.

Edi

EDIT: The Coral Glaive is 2-handed, not 1-handed as I'd mistakenly typed in my previous post.
Old February 5th, 2007, 06:40 AM

PvK is on a distinguished road

Seems to me there should probably be two types of tridents - one-handed and two-handed, with the one-handed one doing less damage and being shorter than the two-handed version which it sounds like is currently used for all tridents.