.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Closed Thread

Old November 14th, 2007, 04:11 PM

BANNED USER

Lord_Bob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Grossly, insanely different PD strengths

Quote:

I've also been given to understand by another mod that you feel like you are being persecuted and that we are out to get you so that you can be "deleted". I was also given to understand that you had indicated a willingness to try to force things to that point. If that's indeed your tack here, it is going to become a self-fulfilling prophecy, since this community has absolutely no use at all for people who troll and disrupt the forums on purpose. We do NOT want to ban people, but we will if we have to, though that is always an administrative decision, not one made by mere moderators.

Since you have access to what I wrote, why don't you quote it? I give you full permission. I think that would make my "persecution complex" quite clear to everyone. So go ahead.

Specifically, the fact that Jazzepi thought it was okay to tell me to "Die in a river" for no reason at all. He knew you would be okay with this, because, you are, aren't you?

Oh, and Chris_Byler was being deliberately rude to. You just have 100% tolerance for certain people who get to run around and get in everyone elses face. That's the way most message boards are run, so I don't expect any better from you.
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:54 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Chris_Byler wasn't being deliberately rude. It's just that we've all heard what you think many times, and think that there are two options from there:

1) Do nothing, since only a small fraction of the community agrees with you.
2) Make a mod that you, and those that agree with you, can use. It actually would not take very long - maybe half an hour. Certainly less time than all this posting has taken.

Further posting on the subject will not change anyone's opinions. We have all read your opinions, initially with interest, and then later with growing frustration as it became apparent that you were not taking other people's opinions on board or reading their posts properly. It also goes against forum etiquette to make so very many posts on the same issue. There is a good reason for this - if everyone (or even two or three more people) did it then the whole board would break down in a mire of pointless discussions.

I have to say I find your posts on other topics to be quite good. You just seem to have gone a bit wild on this one.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:24 PM

Corporal

Shuma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lord_Bob said:

A.I find a problem and tell people.
B.They agree it's a problem that needs a solution.
C.I THEN spend the large amount of time to make a mod.
D.Since there is agreement about the problem, people then use the mod I made. So I have not wasted my time.

Step B here clearly has not happened.
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:42 PM

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I think that was his point. That's why he has to keep on telling us until we agree.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:51 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Post deleted for violation of forum rules ~Edi
Emergency comic relief
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lord_Bob said:
Since you have access to what I wrote, why don't you quote it? I give you full permission. I think that would make my "persecution complex" quite clear to everyone. So go ahead.
I do not actually have access to direct quotes, I only have access to the impression another moderator expressed without directly quoting you. I thought that was obvious from my phrasing.

Quote:
Lord_Bob said:
Specifically, the fact that Jazzepi thought it was okay to tell me to "Die in a river" for no reason at all. He knew you would be okay with this, because, you are, aren't you?
I actually managed to miss that one, since both this thread and the other multipage one are as big as they are. No, I'm not okay with what he said and he should not have done that. Frustrated as he might be with you, there was no call for him to say such a thing.

Quote:
Lord_Bob said:
Oh, and Chris_Byler was being deliberately rude to.
I'd really like to know how Chris was being rude to you. He, like many others, are frustrated with how you have acted with regard to the PD issue, so he did not perhaps bother to coach his post in the most flowery language, but his core message is NOT rude.

It is a suggestion to make a PD mod to test out what would be useful, if you can improve things and see where it goes. Demand for such things is not guaranteed, but without trying, such things don't get made. Often when people have an issue with some aspect of the game, they see if they can mod it more to their liking. The CBM (Complete Balance Mod) is one example that adjusts nearly everything in the game.

The Better Independents mod is another one, I got tired and frustrated with always fighting the same nameless, faceless AI hordes composed of indie archers, militia, light infantry and barbarians with maybe 1% national troops mixed in and rarely any of the good quality independents. Sombre came up with the concept of No Independents (NI) maps due to a modding fluke, but I wanted a somewhat different solution, so I tried my hand at it and posted it here in case somebody else was also interested. I do not know just how popular it is, but I made it anyway without having any guarantees.

Chris's suggestion is very much along the same lines, but obviously laced with his frustration, which is fairly understandable.

Quote:
Lord_Bob said:
You just have 100% tolerance for certain people who get to run around and get in everyone elses face. That's the way most message boards are run, so I don't expect any better from you.
I'd really like to see the evidence for the claim that I play favorites and abuse my power as a moderator. There are few things I like less than being baselessly accused of abuse of power. I can also assure you that any moderator here who does take it to his head to abuse users and his position as a moderator is not going to remain a moderator for very long. The administrators of the forum have absolutely no tolerance whatsoever for that sort of behavior and will throw such miscreants unceremoniously out on their arse. If you have any such evidence of wrongdoing on my part, please present it to Mindi and Annette so they can resolve the issue. If you're correct, they'll present you with my hide in a suitably singed condition.

My main function here is maintaining the bug shortlist stickied to the top of the forum and the other moderation duties are incidental. It may look like I jump in every thread since I generally have something to say about how the mechanics of Dominions 3 work because I know them pretty well, but actual moderating of user actions, that's rare. I do not particularly like doing it, but I will if the situation calls for it. These PD threads have caused a situation that calls for it. It should say something that Ich and Sombre, who are generally the models of patience with new people, have seriously considered putting you on an ignore list or already done so. They're some of the last people I'd have expected to do that.

In any case, I hope that this response can help you see just how this whole issue has developed and where it stands right now. As llamabeast said, you have fine posts on other topics but this PD issue sends you into a frenzy for some reason.
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Ich, please do not fan the flames any further. If you do not have anything to add but more gasoline to an already burning blaze, stay silent. This whole issue is already enough of a cluster**** that it doesn't need more crap.

Vendettas in general are bad for the forum, so kindly do not pursue them. That goes for everyone else as well.
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:01 PM

BANNED USER

I'm not being paid to post here.

If others want to tell me to "Die in a river" or talk to me in an extremely condescending manner, like Chris_Byler, then that's fine. I can generally get them to leave me alone after a few responses. However, I have no reason to sit down and allow people to verbally attack me because "Edi won't let you respond".

Of course, you could say "Chris_Bylers message made sense", but then we would be left with the puzzling lack of a response to my reply to his "message". The "message" was nothing more than the tone a boss uses to humilate an employee that he can fire. I am not Chris_Byler's employee, therefore I don't have to act like one.
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Lord_Bob said:
I'm not being paid to post here.
Neither am I. I did not actually even ask for a mod position, but I could not in good conscience refuse after the stink I'd made about the state of the bug reporting management when that came about. I do this all in my free time, which I could just as well use on otehr staff. Same goes for all of the other mods. The only people who do get oaid are the ones whose name appears in white.

Quote:
Lord_Bob said:
If others want to tell me to "Die in a river" or talk to me in an extremely condescending manner, like Chris_Byler, then that's fine. I can generally get them to leave me alone after a few responses. However, I have no reason to sit down and allow people to verbally attack me because "Edi won't let you respond".
If you intend to start a flamewar here, I'm going to shut this thread down very shortly. As you may or may not have noticed, I just shut down a post of Ich's precisely because of that. As I said, I did not see Jazzepi's comment and therefore took no action on it at the time. I have yet to see how Chris Byler was being "extremely condescending" as per your words. You have the right to respond, but not to start flaming and trolling.

Quote:
Lord_Bob said:
Of course, you could say "Chris_Bylers message made sense", but then we would be left with the puzzling lack of a response to my reply to his "message". The "message" was nothing more than the tone a boss uses to humilate an employee that he can fire. I am not Chris_Byler's employee, therefore I don't have to act like one.
You're reading more into his post than was there. See my above post for the reasons.

Old November 14th, 2007, 06:20 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:

I do not actually have access to direct quotes, I only have access to the impression another moderator expressed without directly quoting you. I thought that was obvious from my phrasing.

Your friend can't give them to you? That's very, very strange. I guess we're just stuck with your interpretation of your friends interpretation of my written and saved words. Normally, this would work better if I had said something, unless I had a taperecorder.

Quote:

I actually managed to miss that one, since both this thread and the other multipage one are as big as they are. No, I'm not okay with what he said and he should not have done that. Frustrated as he might be with you, there was no call for him to say such a thing.

It wasn't on these two/three threads. It was, however, in my letter to your friend. So apparently your hearsay is about the quality one would expect. Is spreading rumours about people rude? Probably not.

Quote:

I'd really like to know how Chris was being rude to you.

The most impossible thing in the world is explaining something to someone who doesn't want to understand. But I'm quite certain that if someone talked to you in that way, you would understand immediately.

Quote:

I'd really like to see the evidence for the claim that I play favorites and abuse my power as a moderator

People like Jazzepi just don't wake up one day and say "I'll go tell some random newbie, who wasn't even really talking to me, to Die In A River". People like Dedas don't immediately go running to the moderators every time someone says something "mean to Jazzepi". They start out being a little rude, and it's tolerated. Then they get worse, and worse. From the level of nastiness Jazzepi has managed to reach, well, ok, it's not that surprising. I'm talking things up. Pretty standard for a message board. Still, yeah, that kind of behaviour is a pretty dead giveaway. Dedas was totally confident that I'd be put in my place and Jazzepi would be just fine.

Dedas's confidence is my confidence that things are exactly the way I thought. He took off straight for Teacher. Wonderful product of Public Education.
Closed Thread