.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:24 AM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod: Better Independents v2.0

Quote:
Zeldor said:
Edi:

Nah, don't enable indy commanders. AI recruits more mages or stronger national commanders that way.
Fallacies with this:
1. Assumes that the AI does not recruit at castle because it recruited an indy commander.
2. The AI would have to spend precious turns with castle recruitable commanders picking up scattered good indy troops.
3. Minimizing commander count is not good. I can't count how many battles I have lost because I only used one commander and he was slain.
4. The AI can spend turns recruiting mages at castle instead of mundane troop commanders. (I do not know AI commander recruiting priorities, but if nothing else the probablity is better for a mage.)
5. Mundane indy military comanders have respectable to good stats.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
llamabeast said:
Could you change the graphics of the affected units to point to an empty graphic, so that they are not even visible on the recruitment screen?
While an interesting thought, that'd also affect them in battles.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road

Good thinking Endo. The units will still be available to indy provinces.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:14 PM

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Endoperez said:
Quote:
llamabeast said:
Could you change the graphics of the affected units to point to an empty graphic, so that they are not even visible on the recruitment screen?
While an interesting thought, that'd also affect them in battles.
Ah, damn. Invisible attacking hordes that spit javelins and become briefly visible when they attack. Though I might try that one just for kicks to see what it looks like...
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:15 PM

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Ah, poo.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Just found out that Better Independents 2.0 has conflicts with Worthy Heroes 1.8 and later, because WH uses the Golden Naga unit (334) as a Patala hero. The current BI mod copies light acavalry 26 to the 334 slot and uses it to replace the national recruitment light cavalries.

I've attached an updated version to the opening post that removes this conflict. The fixed version uses #1454 instead, the Unused Ancient One. Full changelog added to the OP.
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Better Independents v2.1

I've made sure the attachment is updated to the latest spec. The version number is not changed, but the mod now shows up as the correct version in the list. The Golden Naga conflict with Worthy Heroes has also been checked to be fixed.
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:07 AM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road

Got a big financial problem here: It's not as bad as the militia but it ran my expenses up to 25k/turn (I have Gift of Nature's Bounty up, I could just barely afford it) before I figured it out.

I haven't pinned down the offending unit yet but I suspect it's a knight. I was using an army of seraphs to take some provinces the AI had lost to indie monsters. Seraph = S4 mage = Enslave. I ended up with some of the random event monsters in my army.

I am not sure that that's the only culprit as I'm still at 18k and trying to drown as many pests as I can. (I am at peace in that part of the world, I can't just suicide them against the neighbors.)
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Sergeant

SlipperyJim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Got a big financial problem here: It's not as bad as the militia but it ran my expenses up to 25k/turn (I have Gift of Nature's Bounty up, I could just barely afford it) before I figured it out.

I haven't pinned down the offending unit yet but I suspect it's a knight. I was using an army of seraphs to take some provinces the AI had lost to indie monsters. Seraph = S4 mage = Enslave. I ended up with some of the random event monsters in my army.

I am not sure that that's the only culprit as I'm still at 18k and trying to drown as many pests as I can. (I am at peace in that part of the world, I can't just suicide them against the neighbors.)
And that's why I use the Resource-Only version of the mod. Edi made three versions available with the mod. One version leaves gold cost alone, but it increases the resource cost of all "junk" indy units by 800. That way, the AI won't ever recruit the junk ... but I won't go into bankruptcy because of a lucky Charm spell or some other occurrence.

As far as I can tell, the Resource-Only version of the mod works great. I'm fighting against national troops, reinforced by the occasional indy missile troop. (The AI really seems to like tribal archers.) It's made the game a lot more interesting ... and a bit more challenging.
Old October 28th, 2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post

The event militia aren't cost altered. Most chaff indies are. Knights are normal price, but the worst of the three heavy cavalry costs a lot. If you have any non-archer tribals, any light cav, those are bad. Check the mod file to see what's modified, then check all the indies the seraph got for you.

The resource version was made specifically to address astral nations and Enslave Mind so the spell can be used without instant bankruptcy.