.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 1st, 2006, 04:36 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Promising stuff on the newest update!

Quote:
alexti said:
I think I remember that fluent Swedish was a requirement for beta testers...
Yep, I remember that too. It got me quite enthusiastic with Swedish. Especially because the www.illwinter.com/dom2/dom2progress.htm (I still remember the URL ) had some of the changes in Swedish. I never became good in it, though, but I blame that on one exceptionally bad teacher, and a whole year in which my only bit of Swedish was the lone course he held.

Speaking about the beta: I'd except that there would be few native English speakers correcting the grammar. I doubt best grades from Finnish schools, even if the schools are said to be very good, can even come close to lifetime of English when descriptions have to be corrected to a spesific style.
Old June 1st, 2006, 06:36 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
alexti said:

mmm...thats odd..why is that a req. to be a beta tester? The IW guys understand everything in english.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old June 1st, 2006, 06:56 AM

Private

Varjostin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
alexti said:
Heh. If I knew, I could be a beta-tester,I would too study Swedish twice as hard. Just think what kind of a booster that would be. OMG, this is the probably the most efficient way to study a language for a game enthusiastic. Another way would be that Illwinter would release the game only in Swedish language. I would become a fluent speaker in two weeks, when trying the comprehend those descriptions.
Old June 1st, 2006, 07:04 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
When did I say I was one?
I am a beta tester but I dont remember ever saying what games Im in the test groups for.

You've been framed ! In the preview Dom3 version (2.79) that Shrapnel sent to the press recently you appear as tester in the credits...
Old June 1st, 2006, 11:19 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Ahhh thanks. Good to know that I didnt blow my NDA. You had me worried. I guess sending you a copy wouldnt work with an NDA attached to it. I forgot about the credits.

As for the swedish, I think it was a requirement on Dom1. Highly recommended on Dom2. And probably just a nicety on your beta-tester resume for Dom3.

As for the english, I would think there should be a preference for "schooled english" over americanese. At elast for this gme altho some other games being tested here might be better with americanese.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:54 PM

Edi is on a distinguished road

Enfoperez, correcting things to either UK English or US English can be done by anyone with sufficient fluency as long as they are consistent, actually. That was the area where I offered help, weeding out typos, since there's a metric crapton of text in Dom3 and typos are bound to slip in. Espeically if the pretender titles or anything else are in lis type text files, those would be easy to go through, and more proofreaders than just one make for less typos and a more finished product, because they'll catch mistakes the other missed.

It'd be cool to not need another sticky thread for Dominions 3 typos, like we have for Dom2.

Edi
Old June 1st, 2006, 08:09 PM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Endoperez said:
Speaking about the beta: I'd except that there would be few native English speakers correcting the grammar. I doubt best grades from Finnish schools, even if the schools are said to be very good, can even come close to lifetime of English when descriptions have to be corrected to a spesific style.
I remember that certain respectable (natively-english-speaking?) modder was using finnish editor to correct english
Old June 1st, 2006, 11:29 PM

Sergeant

Archonsod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Edi said:
It'd be cool to not need another sticky thread for Dominions 3 typos, like we have for Dom2.
Edi
Anyone seen Space Rangers 2's manual? They offer the best cop out line for mistranslation and spelling mistakes ever - something along the lines of "although the language may appear English, it's actually a future dialect chosen specifically to assist in inter race translation, therefore you may find some strange words or use of language".
Should be placed in every game manual - "Although the language appears English, it is actually an ancient dialect of Ulm. Therefore, you may find some strange words and spellings in the text...."
Old June 2nd, 2006, 02:56 AM

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
alexti said:
I remember that certain respectable (natively-english-speaking?) modder was using finnish editor to correct english
You mean Zen and the CB mod?

Actually, it was not so much a matter of language skills as organizational ones. The reason I took on the task of documenting the CB mod was that I wanted to use it, but I also wanted to know what had been done with the mod just by looking at the mod files, and Zen's formatting and organization in the original mod files and readmes was simply abysmal. It was a fairly easy task to sort those out into a more readable form, and also allowed QM and others to take it up where Zen left off.

Edi
Old June 7th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Illwinter said:
2nd april
* Tribal poptypes -> Wolf, bear, deer, lion tribes.

Anyone speculate what these Tribal Poptypes are? Some kind of new Amazons, except they're Beastmasters? Here's to hoping Darr makes the long journey from TBS to Turn-Based-Strategy.