.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 19th, 2005, 12:42 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to use Golems?

There are some interesting booster choices in there. As an example, Air has two boosters at Constr. 4 that take Air 3: Bag of Winds and Winged Helmet. Forging those, with a mercenary if needed, is all you need to be able to do more Air boosters on your own. Trading for one Air booster or getting lucky in randoms can have a huge effect on your game. This is especially well seen with Arcoscephale's Mystics.

I like doing Rainbow mages around the boosters they can make. They open up interesting options for many nations, and give you access to almost all multi-path items and spells.
Old September 19th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Corporal

Aeshi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
FrankTrollman said:
It is a major pain in the *** that Earth bonuses are so hard to get. The fact that there isn't an easy equivalent to the Bag of Winds/Water Bracelet in Earth is quite vexing on many levels.

Heck, I'd be happy with some Earth bonus Armor. Or a Shield. Or anything. At all. Right now, short of Unique Artifacts, Earth needs at least 3 picks of another magic type to get its second bonus point (from a Blood Stone bbbe, Ring of wizardry sssss, Staff of Elemental Mastery fffwwww or eeeaaa, or Robe of the Archmagi bbbbaaaa). Every single other magic type gets an easier second bonus. Even Fire (which needs a Death of all things to get the Flaming Skull) can get by on a single random pick coming up the right way to get the second bonus point.

And the uniques aren't a lot better. There are three unique artifacts that grant an Earth bonus, of which one is the same slot as the regular Earth Boots (Anteus' Boots are, however, totally sweet. They just don't aid in the department of Earth Boosting at all). And the other two are themselves basically no good. The Sword of Many Colors is extremely expensive, and requires a 4/1 split. The Book requires a 2/2 split.

If you count Uniques, Earth is the only magic type that can't self-buff itself twice.

Air can boost itself with the Winged Helm and Bag of Winds.
Water can boost itself with the Water Bracelet and the Robe of the Sea.
Death can boost itself with the Skull Face and Staff.
Nature can boost itself twice with the Treelord's Staff all by itself.
Astral can boost itself with the Starshine Skullcap and the Ring of Sorcery.
Blood can boost itself with the Blood Thorn and the Brazen Head.

Even Fire can double self-boost with the help of the Flaming Helmet and the Ruby Eye.

Only Earth has no ability to get its second bonus. And that really hurts groups like Ulm who are supposed to rely upon Earth as their primary sustenence.
Your IQ is 2 above the average person!!!
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Crazy_Bonvine said:
Your IQ is 2 above the average person!!!
We really don't need that kind of ad hominem bull**** here. Either post something useful, or shut up.

Earth if a very powerful path on its own, so making the second boosters harder isn't unfair. Besides, you can get an earth booster without any earth magic at all, namely the staff of the elements, water/fire version.

And anyone who plays Ulm without a pretender that compensates for its lack of magic gets exactly what they deserve.

Edi
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Still, almost any path of magic is powerful on its own, and the others have access to multiple boosters [items]. In addition, all elements have an Elemental Staff that doesn't require that element. That isn't a good enough reason to not have another Earth booster [again, item].

And the fact that Ulm needs a certain type of a pretender might be unbalanced as well isn't good reason either, as Ulm is generally considered a weak nation. Improving Earth a little would be nice.

However, it should be remembered that Earth has the best combat booster. Water and Storm Power only work under certain circumstances, Phoenix Power gives 50% fire resistance, but Earth Power gives reinvigoration 4. That isn't as good as another booster item, but a boost nonetheless.
Old September 19th, 2005, 06:38 PM

Corporal

spirokeat is on a distinguished road

When you talk about other boosters, what do you mean ?

In combat boosters ? as in phoenix power or ritual boosters like skull staffs ?

And I agree with Edi, if its a pointless insult, then piss off this forum.

Spiro
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:13 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Reverend Zombie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
spirokeat said:
And I agree with Edi, if its a pointless insult, then piss off this forum.
Spiro
He did say "above average." Is that really an insult?
When that they find nothing but waste...

Old September 20th, 2005, 02:32 AM

Edi is on a distinguished road

Reverend Zombie:

The way he aid that yes, it was, and it was a pointless comment which did not add anything to the discussion. That's why I don't see any problem in telling him to sod off. Doesn't help his case that he has only a half a dozen posts and zero actual contribution to this forum and community.

Like it or not, communities like this do form hierarchies, both official (staff and normal users) and unofficial (based on length of time as a member and amount of contribution) ones.

Frank has been around here for a far longer while than Bonvine has, and despite not having more than 123 posts as of this moment, those 123 posts have almost all been worthwhile reading and have contained discussion, arguments and observations.

Now Crazy Bonvine has been around for less than two weeks, and I've yet to see any worthwhile content in any of his posts. They've all save one been just waste of bandwidth, and more, annoying waste of bandwidth. He's already managed to give me the impression that whenever I see his user name on the forum, I can expect a post with no redeeming value whatsoever. With just 7 posts, that's a pretty impressive achievement.

The sort of trolling he did in this thread, digging up a comment from early on in the first page and just flinging an insult at Frank instead of any real reply, needs to be ruthlessly oppressed.

I don't know whether or not the mods will think me out of line for being this direct and hostile toward another member, and a new one at that, but I'm not in the habit of mollycoddling trolls. Which is all that Crazy Bonvine has so far indicated himself to be.

Edi
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:03 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

i just got some use out of golems, and i was playing as ulm!
3x golems with main gauche, gold shield, horror helmet, jade armour lycan amulet and ring of the warrior and winged shoes with a golem cult dominion ( only patch 2.2 because non internet computer )was playing vrs mictain and tien chi on urgaia. i had cast forge of the ancients and earth blood deep well and used smiths (and a bit of my pretender) to forge these items, the smiths got a 75% forge bonus so gems didnt really matter then i sent these boys out hunting on mictain. huge slave armies couldnt touch them and just routed and then i took out a great mother earth with them. next i wana try them with a gate cleaver but i dont know if i could give up the awe ( even though with 130 health and 13 regen they were pretty sturdy )
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:17 PM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road

I like to give Golems a starshine skullcap over most any helmet.
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Edited the post. I talk just about item boosters before I recalled Earth Power, and didn't edit the first part of the post after adding the stuff about combat boosters. Good catch, thanks.

Edit:
And it seems I missed another page. Bad me. This was meant as a reply into Spriokeat's (sp?) post in the last page.