.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 14th, 2008, 08:15 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Action Points? Encumbrance? What?

Edi, I think that second variant is right. At least that is what I noticed and, probably, read somewhere.
It may be easily noticed that very often units who didn't perform attack in the combat round leave those, who did, behind the next round.
Old July 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
ano said:
Edi, I think that second variant is right. At least that is what I noticed and, probably, read somewhere.
It may be easily noticed that very often units who didn't perform attack in the combat round leave those, who did, behind the next round.
That's my suspicion as well, but I have not paid quite enough attention to make a definitive call on it. It would explain a lot, though.
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM

Private

tombom is on a distinguished road

According to the manual, attacking costs all of your total action points and if you've already used some the debt carries over to next round. Not sure how accurate this is.
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:03 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

It certainly seems to be true. It's most obvious when you're watching your troops run down fleeing enemies. You'll see someone make a long move and attack then not move at all the next turn.

I'm still not quite sure how those AP numbers with Limp add up. Is it possible that Limp is actually half, but the displayed penalty is wrong?
Old July 14th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Well and my problem here is rooted in that.

Attacking is supposed to use a full turn of AP, not just what is remaining, but the entire sum, and will subtract from the next turn. This seems to work fine, especially as everyone operates in the same fashion.

What I am trying to figure out, is with 50%(ish ) Quickness, how is that determined? Because Quickness is clearly differentiated from "Haste" in game mechanics. Quickness, in all instances, states that it increases ability to move faster AND attack, while Haste only gives the ability to run farther.

So, here is my dilemma - A human unit with Base AP of 12, Armor Enc leaves him at 9 AP, Quickness puts him at 13 AP - how many AP does it actually end up costing him to attack?

This is really driving me mad, because the behavior I am seeing in SP settings with W9 blessed sacreds - the higher the Base (or Current, after armor etc) AP of a Quickened unit, the more reliably it seems to produce extra attacks - and the lower the AP of the Quickened unit, it starts to produce behavior that more resembles simple Haste.
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:56 AM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

Well, attacks must cost the 100% AP limit after armour, otherwise heavy infantry (say from base 12 down to 6APs) without quickness would attack every second turn, and they attack every turn. At least as far as I've seen anyway.

I'd imagine 50% quickness could work either as:
1) leaving the armour-adjusted AP cost, just modifying APs.
2) altering the attack AP cost equal to the new quickness-modified AP total
...a) then giving alternate 2 attacks - 1 attack each round.
...b) discounting the attack AP cost (67% in this case) depending on quickness type.

If you're seeing fewer attacks with low AP units, I'd expect you are seeing either (1) or (2a), both being different routes to the same result. This would be because a fast unit could move and afford to attack twice (18APs mean 5APs move and two attacks at 12 each), whereas a slow unit would be more impaired by movement (6APs, only 1 AP free to move for two 4AP attacks.)
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:50 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

I believe - but I could be hallucinating that 50% quickness is intended to give an attack every other round.

Attacking is supposed to consume your full AP; it is supposed to put you into negatives. The negatives are then supposed to carryover when your AP gets refreshed the next turn.

Rather than being a bonus of 50% to your ap each turn, is there any chance they are giving a full bonus every other turn? I think this might better explain the behavior you observed.

Additionally, haste doesn't give a ap increase Idont think - I think it decreases the cost per square to move - for example, from 4 to 3.
Old July 16th, 2008, 02:39 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Yeah, haste does something similar to that. It's the "running" ability also given by Boots of the Messenger. Less AP taken to move the same area.
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:35 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Endoperez said:
Yeah, haste does something similar to that. It's the "running" ability also given by Boots of the Messenger. Less AP taken to move the same area.
Odd, I've only used them a couple of times, thought before that they added AP.

That's interesting, because it means that Boots of Long Strides (Messenger are just reinvig) could combine well with Jade Armor or W9 bless - something to look into for sure.

And of course you'll see more attacks with more AP, that stands whether they're hasted or not. My point is just that the lower the baseline is for AP, the less overt benefit you actually realize in combat, from Quickness.

Not sure how much you've used it, but personally when I am making a bless strat, 9/10 times I will go W9 before I go F9, and when working on builds, I always watch the fights very closely so that I see exactly what my results are, and how they compare to other builds. In this case - for LA Mictlan, a W9 bless is anomalously poor relative to most bless nations where I feel it compares quite favorably to a F9 bless, as far as damage output is concerned. So, this odd disparity, coupled with a couple examinations of Limpy soldiers, really got me thinking about the AP mechanics themselves.