.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 12th, 2005, 04:06 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Dominions 3: \"Wishlist\"

And where would one find this dev diary? I haven't been paying as much attention as I should have, so I don't know where it is. I lost patience with Google, couldn't find it...

Edi
Old September 12th, 2005, 04:21 PM

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

I think his WISH is a new chapter of the dev diary... Quite straightforward, but I thought the same as Edi when I read that. Must be our hopes getting the better of us.
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:54 AM

Edi is on a distinguished road

Another feature request: Add the following commands to the tactical orders menu:
  • Hold and Fire - same as hold and attack, but for missile units. The stupid buggers don't know how to hold off for a few moments, which is necessary sometimes, especially with javelin units.
  • Attack and Fire - again a new missile unit command. Again, the morons will never use javelins, throwing axes or any other missile weapons if they have been given normal attack or hold and attack orders. This command would have the idiots charge forward and switch to missile weapons immediately upon coming in range. They would keep firing until out of ammo or forced to melee, whichever comes first.

Adding these two commands would remove a lot of the headaches of planning battle tactics and trying to make certain the units don't do something stupid on their own. I especially like to use the indie light infantry with javelins (or other similar units), and the only way to get the maximum effectiveness out of them or Abysian axe throwers is to leave them unscripted. That annoys the hell out of me.

Edi
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

t Edi, Endo: FRAG! newsletter you silly old men.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:27 PM

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

I got the FRAG!, but I ain't got no DevDiary...

I have the FRAG!, but it only mentions Dominions as one of the top sellers, and the only other interesting thing is the Fiction. Wouldn't it be cool to have a DomII fictive story on the FRAG!? Now we just need a writer...
Old September 13th, 2005, 05:00 PM

Corporal

Aeshi is on a distinguished road

1.Better missile units!I bet many of us have lost 'cause the !@&)@! missile units hurt YOUR units more than your foes

2.More nations and pretenders!
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:59 AM

Sergeant

magnate is on a distinguished road

No no no no NO.

NOT "more nations and pretenders". Argh. Damn that's annoying. There are squillions of nation/theme/pretender combinations already, and the more you add, the harder everything is to balance properly. Look how many pretender chassis currently don't get used, even in a Zen-modded game. Why add more? If you add more less useful ones, they simply take up space and don't get used. If you add more good ones, they simply get used at the expense of others, which get relegated to wasting space.

I can't understand this obsession with more content. Please please let Dom3 focus on a better UI and better gameplay experience, there is already buckets of content to keep us fascinated until well after the release of Dom4.

CC
Old September 14th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Sergeant

Olive is on a distinguished road

It should be nice to give an Intercept order to an army. If any adjacent province is under attack, the army will defend it (being informed of the attack by the people of the attacked province or supposed scouts). If there are more than one of the adjacent provinces under attack, the one with the biggest enemy army will be defended.

Also, I'd like a second patrol order, let's say Patrol for enemies , only searching for sneak units in the province, not killing people (and not reducing unrest of course).

It seems fair and not unbalancing imho .
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:27 PM

Corporal

Aeshi is on a distinguished road

*very small voice* an ally feature?

oh and magnate what do you mean by "squillions" of nations?do you mean the measly 17 that grow boring quickly?

"squillions" of themes?do you mean the 0-2 extra themes some lucky nations have?

"squillions" of pretenders?you are reffering to the rather boring animals/statues/<instert boring random physical form choice here> yes??

so get the facts straight before you open your gob next time!

I a....COW has (in a way) foxed you!

Who said cows were dumb again???
Old September 15th, 2005, 07:34 AM

Sergeant

magnate is on a distinguished road

Bovine (oh such an apt name) - if the current thirty-plus nation/themes have quickly bored you, I respectfully suggest that you find a game more suited to your intellect, such as DOOM3 or maybe Tic-Tac-Toe. It is people like you who constantly whinge about wanting more content who seriously jeopardise the success of Dom3. I hope and pray fervently to the One True God that the devs ignore you and all your ilk, and concentrate on the real limitations of the game, which are certainly not in the area of content. We don't, for example, need more spells, we simply need the existing spells differentiated slightly better, so that there are no useless spells and no "no-brainer" spells. The same is certainly true of units, and imho pretenders as well.

On balance, there is just one area where I think a few things could be added, which is in forgeable items. There are plenty of weapons and body armours and misc items, but far fewer shields, hats and boots. Many commanders don't use a shield and a surprising number don't have feet, but I think we could do with a slightly broader choice of hats to forge.

There you go - want some more content? Design some hats.

CC