.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 24th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road
Default Disappearing Gui.

Hi guys, new here.

I have a problem, as you would have probably guessed from the title of this topic, a specific part of my gui keeps disappearing.

Wait! Don't point me to the customer support just yet. This is not the copy protection, that would remove the entire gui. (I tested that one). But in my case only the gui part in which you select a commander disappears. The rest of the gui still works.

And it also occurs only in specific situations. So far it started to occur after I patched the game to the newest version. And it only happens after loading a save on large map playing LA Ermor. In which I already have a sizeable army (and a lot of computer opponents). And then only after doing a few things. (checking orders, changing orders etc. And poof, part of the gui is gone). It does not happen if I start a new game. Only after saving and loading.

If it happened it stays for that running of the game. (So if I restart the application it is gone, but if I start a new game, still no commanders/hero s gui).

I'm also using a dual screen desktop setup. So perhaps it somehow generates the gui off screen or something.

It seems like a problem with very large games. (but actually those where the games I mostly play) But it cannot be a memory problem, as my machine has plenty, and the game had not reached this.

Any guesses what the problem could be?
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Disappearing Gui.

What is the "gui part in which you select a commander"? The list of commanders on the left? The commands that appear when you click on "defend" order?
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Do you use the mouse to select? Or keypresses?
What operating system? WinXP? Vista? Mac? Linux?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Colonel

The list of commanders on the left. It disappears when I return to the main game screen. (Not the main menu, but the ingame screen). So it disappears after I did something. For example, after I used the army management button. When I return, the commanders on the left do not load.

And I use winXP.
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:07 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

If it's the problem with the list of orders menu not appearing when you hit space with commanders selected (or just click on them to give orders), then that happens with resolutions larger than 1024x768 (or was it larger than 1280x1024 ?). Solution is to hit Esc, move mouse leftward (as usually the menu appears to the right of visible screen space) and try again.

If it's something else, we need more specifics: What part of the GUI, under what conditions and so forth.
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:42 AM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
If it's the problem with the list of orders menu not appearing when you hit space with commanders selected (or just click on them to give orders), then that happens with resolutions larger than 1024x768 (or was it larger than 1280x1024 ?). Solution is to hit Esc, move mouse leftward (as usually the menu appears to the right of visible screen space) and try again.

If it's something else, we need more specifics: What part of the GUI, under what conditions and so forth.
No, it is not the list of orders not appearing. (I noticed that one, but I solved that on my own ). But it is the list of commanders of the left not reappearing when you are on the main map screen. You can compare it to the 'h' command, which hides the menu on the right. This also stays hidden when you return to the main map screen.

Of course it isn't the same, as this is not initiated by a key command. It just happens after I load a save of a big game, and issue some orders, go into the army management a few times, and select a few provinces. (The army management seems to trigger it the most).

Thanks for helping everyone.
Old November 24th, 2008, 12:36 PM

First Lieutenant

Makinus is on a distinguished road

It can be a corrupted CD-Key, try deleting the file where the game stores de cd-key (forgot the filename)and when you enter the game again it will ask for you cd-key, inform it and see if the problem reappers.

What you are relating sounds like the cd-key protection from the game acting up...
Old November 24th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinus View Post
It can be a corrupted CD-Key, try deleting the file where the game stores de cd-key (forgot the filename)and when you enter the game again it will ask for you cd-key, inform it and see if the problem reappers.

What you are relating sounds like the cd-key protection from the game acting up...
Yeah, that was my first thought too, but the copy protection just removes all the gui, and kills any possible input commands. In this case I'm still able to play. (An I tried it, same result. gui still disappears).

The odd thing is that it only happens after you load a save, if you play the game from the start it does not happen. But save that game, and load it, it can happen. This is the main reason I think it is some sort of bug, and not the copy protection acting up.
Old November 24th, 2008, 01:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Did you install from the CD or from a saved copy you installed on another machine? It could be a difference between the settings it finds on bootup, and the settings it "remembers" that its supposed to be using.

You might also play with some of the runtime switches that affect how the graphic screen is managed.
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:06 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Did you install from the CD or from a saved copy you installed on another machine? It could be a difference between the settings it finds on bootup, and the settings it "remembers" that its supposed to be using.

You might also play with some of the runtime switches that affect how the graphic screen is managed.
Already did a clean dom3 reinstall.

Is there a list of command line options?

Edit:
also small noob question, when guides mention indy mages, they mean all types of spell casters that are recruitable in indy regions right? Or are there certain types better than others?

Last edited by Soyweiser; November 24th, 2008 at 03:12 PM..