.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old September 23rd, 2005, 01:32 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Special Provinces

Pity. The one thing I most miss in mapmaking (or modding) is the ability to change poptypes, to add new poptypes, etc. They could add much flavour to, as an example, the Faerun map, and could (easily?) transform the random-map generator to a whole new level.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 06:11 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Doing things from a "mutu" basis can be best translated as doing things ad hoc. That's about as close as it gets.

Quote:
Chazar said:
Judging from my tests of mapmaking, the #poptype command only affects the type of recruitable units available at a province, but not its initial independent defenders...
Indeed. The way it works is that first Dom2 creates the map from the neighbor and terrain info, randomly assigns poptypes appropriate to terrain, places indie defebders according to that poptype, assigns magic sites and only then starts reading the special commands from the mapfile. IF the special commands overwrite the previous poptype, then you're just [censored] out of luck when the jade amazons turned into basic slingers or whatever else happened, even if you did fight them for control of the province.

Similarly, scripted magic sites overwrite previously assigned ones if there are no empty slots available.

Quote:
Chazar said:Thus it is difficult to strengthen the defense of independent provinces independently from the independent setting, especially not in a random way, i.e. I wish that there would be a map-command to say that the random independent force is to be set at global independent strength +/- something.
That'd help, but assigning some lightly armored crossbows (#47 or #48) and some of the ID #40 HI will usually beef up any indie quite a bit. Put about 15 and 20 of them respectively and it'll do the trick. And they work with almost anything.

Quote:
Chazar said:EDIT-PS: Of course, while setting the poptype one can set defenders manually as well, but randomness would help to allow oneself to enjoy one's own maps.
The procedure above, assigning some common as dirt indies in small quantities will do the trick, and the random variation from native defenders does the rest.

Edi
Old October 6th, 2005, 05:53 AM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

So, is there a new version of this map?
It looks really nice.
Old October 6th, 2005, 11:41 AM

Private

Kaljamaha is on a distinguished road
Default New Versions

Well, there's the one and only update I made for the map, posted in this thread (just above the post with the picture of the map). The map on Arryn's site also has the new map files. I didn't put any version numbers on the map files, in hindsight that may have been a mistake.

I am probably going to do one (hopefully last) update for this map. It will change the special provinces, in order to balance the strength of the defenders with the rewards. But before I do that, I am waiting for people to report on how they feel said balance is for each of the special provinces.

Other than the possible imbalance with special defenders, there seems to not be any problems with the map. So, if you like playing without specials, go ahead and use the map. The no-specials map file is not going to see any updates (unless some problem appears).

K.
Old November 15th, 2005, 02:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

Rathar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Versions

So uhh I d-load this map et-al and un-rar it etc and I get some swede telling me things are broken when I create a game with it..

I am D-loading it into the maps folder and un-raring it there as well. Not sure what else I am missing! (Of course, if I was sure, that would be the problem.. Kind of like how one finds the car keys in the last place you look. Well duh it's the last place as thats the place you finally found them in..)

I have D-loaded and made other maps work with no difficulty so..?

Rathar
Old November 15th, 2005, 07:03 AM

Private

Kaljamaha is on a distinguished road

Make sure you have both the .tga file (the image of the map) and the .map file (map specs) in the maps folder of your game. The first post in this thread contains a zip with the image and the older map file, and my post a little ways down from it, just above the the one that showns the image, contains the updated map file. A package with both can also be obtained from Arryn's site.

If you do have both, I am at a loss to explain what is wrong. The "något gick fell" error message is rather annoying, because it doesn't actually specify what the problem is.

K.
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:27 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kaljamaha said:
The "något gick fell" error message is rather annoying, because it doesn't actually specify what the problem is.

Not as annoying as one that used to be very common on Sun's Solaris/Unix operating systems : "Fatal Error: Fatal".
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

Rathar is on a distinguished road

Hmm got it working. Seems the .tga file got stuffed somewhere wierd. Dunno why but thanks!