.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 27th, 2007, 07:54 PM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road
Default Johan-swamp Stuff

MA Ctis is an average ma race. So it is fairly balanced as is. But KO says you like swamps, so we can maybe make MA Ctis just a tad cooler.

It is a fact MA Ctis sacreds suck, so I was thinking we could spice up the swamps a bit with this capital only sacred:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/w...ator06-ON.html

Of course White Alligators are extremely rare. They would have awe, swamp survival, amphibious, a rip type bite(gators don't just bite-they bite and they do not let go. they shred their victim.

A little research also reveals their tail is quite deadly as well.

And what swamp would be complete without nutria? While these are just big rats, they could cause disease, and be a pain to deal with in great numbers(they are prolific breeders).

Just say yes to new swamp creatures!

White Alligators are only found in the swamps of Louisiana. That picture is a baby. They get up to 19 feet in length and weigh 1000 pounds. That would make them at least size 3 I would think. Maybe 4.

Alligators are surprisingly fast on land, and can reach speeds of up to 30 mph.

Alligators are not immune to snake poison. However, they do have extremely tough skin, and an armored back protected by bony plates called scutes. It is possible that this protection may prevent a snake's fangs from penetrating the skin.
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:23 AM

Lieutenant General

Default Re: Johan-swamp Stuff

Just in case you were wondering who would be the King of the swamp-the serpents or the gators, I think we have an answer.

FYI, A gator's tail is a devastating weapon. And gators commonly use it to knock down foes such as humans, black bears
to get them in range of their powerful jaws.

In any event, on the the feature:

http://totaldrek.blogspot.com/2005/0...-per-view.html
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:14 AM

Corporal

Autochthon is on a distinguished road

So, if I must phear the Gator, what does that mean for the destroyer of legend, the Hungry Hungry Hippo?

Last I recall, they can bite a gator in half with those lumpy herbivore teeth. That's -gotts- hurt...

"The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness."
- The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord
http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but then it'd be Snow White and the Seven Samurai...
-Pinky and the Brain

http://www.lolthulhu.com/
-Props to S.R. Krol
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Lieutenant General

no. lol. I saw an alligator in the la state museum and its head was fully as large as a large car. The American alligator
is the largest in the world.

You may be thinking of some "cousin" of the American alligator that got bit in two by a hippo. I think the chinese gator only grows to 6 feet, instead of 19.
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Sergeant

coobe is on a distinguished road

afaik the most deadly animal (according to victims) is indeed the Hippo.. no kidding
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:47 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Crocs and gators have nothing on the hippo. Even big crocs will give way because a hippo will generally kick their tail. A large hippo can weigh over two tons, so they can just trample a croc or a gator, or failing that, those teeth would really hurt. Hippos kill more people every year than crocs do and they will easily reduce a boat to a collection of matchsticks, toothpicks and unidentifiable splinters.

I would also note that a ten-foot python is not much ofa contest for a big gator or croc, but toss in a 20-footer or bigger one and it starts looking a lot different all of a sudden. For one, a lot more squeezing power, a snake that size is far stronger than a 10-foot one (which is quite capable of killing a human). Anacondas kill alligators and eat them, though once a gator gets big enough, it's no longer a viable meal.

But an escaped household snake against a wild croc or gator? Bleh. No contest.
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Lieutenant General

The alligator in the la museum was 80 years old, over 19 feet long and weighed over 2 tons itself.

Hippos are not found in the united states, so no hippo has EVER stepped on a 19 foot alligator's tail and lived to tell the tale. fact.

A 30 anaconda would not want to mess with a 19' gator either. For one, it is too big and tough to squeeze to death, so the anaconda could not even damage a big gator.

That gator that killed that anaconda was only a BABY. it was 7' long. so the anaconda was 8' long. Trust me giving the anaconada another 13' and the gator another 16' would in no way have changed the result.

American Gators-King of the Swamp. And it is not even close. A 6' man could walk into the mouth of a 19' gator, and not bump his head. Because of hunting, most gators do not live long enough to get full grown any more, but if you ever saw a full grown gator, you would change your tune.
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:00 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Yay, off-topicness. I do remember that Hippos are among the most dangerous mammals, too, and googling for "dangerous hippo" seems to confirm that (have a look at the first three links). Crocodiles seem to stay clear of hippos in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL0ScGo8SJc
Emergency comic relief
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:20 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

A 19' gator is a monster of epic proportions and you don't get too many of those. If you measure by length, equal length will always favor gator, because it has greater mass for the same length.

But most crocs and gators don't grow to such monstrous sizes. Neither do most pythons, in the wild anyway. Anacondas are substantially larger than pythons (thicker, more mass) even if they do not achieve the same length. I grant that the gators that anacondas hunt tend to be young ones.

I've never seen a live gator, but I've seen enough footage of various types of croc (including the Australian sea crocs that grow up to 35') to know just how big they are. Even Nile crocs can reach impressive lengths.With regard to that, even the big Nile crocs (12-15') stay away from hippos because the potential reward for tangling with one is not worth the risk of injury. They do attack young hippos when they can, though.
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Lieutenant General

the comparison between the american gator and the crok, however, is not a great one.

While the croks are longer, the gators are much "thicker"
and "broader."

For the purposes of MA Ctis, I would like the White Sacred Alligators to be the full sized ones, 19' variety. And yes, seeing a 19' Gator is actually akin to seeing a sea monster.

It is staggering. But that is the size they reach in the wild if they are not killed by hunters. sadly, almost all of them that get large these days are killed before they reach full size.