.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 11th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Private

mgarnett is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DomMap - new Version

Hi Guys,

if you like I can modify the GUI to add the new switches. Should only take a couple of minutes. Let me know if you still need me to do that and I will get right on it and send through the new EXE.

Mark
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:38 AM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Please do, Mark. Then email me the latest file. Thanks.
Old October 11th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road

IMO this thread deserves to be stickied.
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:56 AM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nagot Gick Fel said:
IMO this thread deserves to be stickied.
Don't we have enough stickies already? IMO, a better solution is to add a link to the thread in Zen's links sticky, especially since there already is a mapping section in that post.
Old October 11th, 2004, 12:37 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Gandalf, might I suggest 0xb43c00 for the land border color? It corresponds to Red 180, Green 60, blue 0, and is a nice reddish color, close to red brick. It wouldn't be quite as painfully bright as the current red border, but it will be clearly visible. If the borders can be set to be discrete (no color diffusion toward the edges, or is that just the effect of saving the files to jpg?), it will do the job wonderfully.

Edi
Old October 11th, 2004, 01:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Edi said:
Gandalf, might I suggest 0xb43c00 for the land border color? It corresponds to Red 180, Green 60, blue 0, and is a nice reddish color, close to red brick. It wouldn't be quite as painfully bright as the current red border, but it will be clearly visible.
Thanks. that maximum red was the original setting and I kept meaning to soften it. The MapEditor has a preference for red borders. I did do some experimentation to get a watery border which was better but still has enough red for the editor (I think, I havent tested it).

Of course anyone who wants to download/play with the program now can use the switch of -c_land_border 0xb43c00 to override that red. But I think you are probably correct that the default should be something along the line of what you said.

How about swamp? I wanted to get it abit more sick-green and easier to tell apart from the plains and farmlands.
Quote:
If the borders can be set to be discrete (no color diffusion toward the edges, or is that just the effect of saving the files to jpg?), it will do the job wonderfully.
Thats the JPG effect.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 11th, 2004, 01:21 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Quote:
Edi said:
Gandalf, might I suggest 0xb43c00 for the land border color? It corresponds to Red 180, Green 60, blue 0, and is a nice reddish color, close to red brick. It wouldn't be quite as painfully bright as the current red border, but it will be clearly visible.
Thanks. that maximum red was the original setting and I kept meaning to soften it. The MapEditor has a preference for red borders. I did do some experimentation to get a watery border which was better but still has enough red for the editor (I think, I havent tested it).

Of course anyone who wants to download/play with the program now can use the switch of -c_land_border 0xb43c00 that Leif put in to override that red. But I think you are probably correct that the default should be something along the line of what you said.

How about swamp? I wanted to get it abit more sick-green and easier to tell apart from the plains and farmlands.
Quote:
If the borders can be set to be discrete (no color diffusion toward the edges, or is that just the effect of saving the files to jpg?), it will do the job wonderfully.
Thats the JPG effect.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 11th, 2004, 01:25 PM

Sergeant

LintMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Edi said:
Gandalf, might I suggest 0xb43c00 for the land border color? It corresponds to Red 180, Green 60, blue 0, and is a nice reddish color, close to red brick. It wouldn't be quite as painfully bright as the current red border, but it will be clearly visible. If the borders can be set to be discrete (no color diffusion toward the edges, or is that just the effect of saving the files to jpg?), it will do the job wonderfully.
I'll leave it to Gandalf to comment on your border color suggestion, but I will just mention that you can override the default land border color with the -c_land_border switch (though that won't help you if you want to download maps from Gandalf's site.)
Edit: Doh! In the time it took me to make my reply, Gandalf already replied twice!

The random maps do not diffuse the border colors at all - if you open the .tga files, you can verify that. But Dom2 itself seems to apply a slight blur or perhaps antialiasing to the maps.
Old October 11th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Arryn said:
Don't we have enough stickies already? IMO, a better solution is to add a link to the thread in Zen's links sticky, especially since there already is a mapping section in that post.
That would be fine.
Old October 11th, 2004, 02:04 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

I'll play around with GIMP and try to find a suitable swamp color. I kind of like the gray-green colors that can be found in the Faerun map's swamps, so I'll see if one of those fits the bill.

Edi