.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dom3: Expansion Pack

Some people think it's so easy. Dominions has a huge code. And really complicated. And there are many people that know the game better than devs.

Saying "write code from scratch" is easy. But doing so would take tremendous amount of work. I don't think that Johann is able to do it [as it'd have to be in newer language, which more sophisticated and time-taking solutions to handle all that we'd want]. And chance that they will hire someone to just do that is slim. It would be at least one year of coding, let's say 2-3k$ per month. Add new graphics on top of that [you wouldn't want sprites anymore, right?]. With the amount of units we have, let's say we can maybe get a good deal and get it done for just $500k. Or try some worse 2d quality, to get it to $100k. You'd also want to hire a guy to make AI, another $10k here. They probably get no more than 1/3rd of money from that $50 it is selling for. So it makes for minimum 50k copies sold to break even.

[those were just estimates, I may be totally off with those numbers, just wanted to say smth to those that think it's easy and cheap]

LA Agartha guide
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:28 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldor View Post
Add new graphics on top of that [you wouldn't want sprites anymore, right?]. With the amount of units we have, let's say we can maybe get a good deal and get it done for just $500k. Or try some worse 2d quality, to get it to $100k. You'd also want to hire a guy to make AI, another $10k here.
$100k -$500k for graphics and $10k for the AI coding? I wouldn't want to play that game, and I guess most others here wouldn't either.
Emergency comic relief
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:38 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Am I the only person who doesn't want to see improved graphics in any Dom3 follow-up? Personally think that what we have now are perfectly fine and fully functional.

If you want pretty graphics, join the horde of mindless sheep out there and play MMO's, FPS's etc. All of which are highly original, unique, and immensely challenging
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:20 PM

Sergeant

Poopsi is an unknown quantity at this point

prettier graphics = higher reqs = no longer a game I can keep running alt-tabbed between other tasks (say, class).

More features and better AI would be nice, though
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:35 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
Quote:
Add new graphics on top of that [you wouldn't want sprites anymore, right?]. With the amount of units we have, let's say we can maybe get a good deal and get it done for just $500k. Or try some worse 2d quality, to get it to $100k. You'd also want to hire a guy to make AI, another $10k here.
$100k -$500k for graphics and $10k for the AI coding? I wouldn't want to play that game, and I guess most others here wouldn't either.
is it because that's a lot, and thus no one here would want to play such a mainstream-style game, or because that's not very much at all, and no one here would want to play such a poor quality game?

sorry for my naivety, but I really have no metric here...

I think that I play games like Dwarf Fortress more than most other games, and it, in terms of man-hours, is probably under 100k. (assuming 55k a year per person for full-time. I think there's two guys working on it for a few years, and they by no means do it full-time).
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:28 PM

General

I'd call it rather low budget You'd have to spend at least $5-10 million for proper 3d graphics engine.

LA Agartha guide
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Some people think it's so easy. Dominions has a huge code. And really complicated. And there are many people that know the game better than devs.

Saying "write code from scratch" is easy. But doing so would take tremendous amount of work.
I know the difference between saying something and doing something quite well. I'm perfectly aware that it would be a tremendous task and far from easy. I just happen to have a recollection that it was the devs themselves who said it would need to be redone from scratch if a Dom4 were to be made. Could be I remember wrong, though.

But it is a fact that the engine limits are squeezing everything these days and some of them can't be expanded without breaking a lot of hard (or impossible) to fix things. That was what JK said when I asked about one of the more important ones.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:36 PM

General

Edi:

My post was not aimed at you Mostly also to all threads like that appearing from time to time. I really hope that dom4 gets created though.

LA Agartha guide
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Well to me a Dom3 Expansion Pack is:
Streamers and Standards mod
Worthy Heroes mod
Mytheology mod
Magic Site mod
SingleAge mod
and running each map thru the SemiRandom program before playing it.

I understand there is also a mod to add a ton of new spells to the game but I havent tried that yet. There is also a mod that put something like 12 new nations into the extended slots in one move with all conflicts ironed out.

Those are mods that extend the game. Took what was in it and added lots more.

Gandalf Parker
--
To some people, unlimited options seems to them to be zero options.
Without a menu of choices, they are lost.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:50 PM

Corporal

Chacal is on a distinguished road

@Calahan : No you are not the only one who don't want an impove in graphic display :

More quality would say less editable : It's easy to edit a 64x64 sprite (well easy do edit, I didn't say easy to do something artistic). It's far more difficult and time consuming to create let's say a 3d shape with texture...

Such a Dom4 would loose probably 80% or more of his units, maybe more....

So keep the 2d sprites ! Well I know... why speaking about a problem that isn't real as there will be NO Dom4...probably...