.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old April 5th, 2006, 02:11 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3 Wishlist

Quote:
NTJedi said:
Sure they can be adjusted for balance but then everyone playing has to agree on the balance which takes additional time and the next game may have different players with different views... easier to just disable the spell.
Then why don't you just disable the spells via a mod? I don't understand why you continually ask Illwinter to add functionality that already exists? If your problem is that you can't get people to use your mods because they don't agree with your idea of balance, and would rather just create games where you can turn spells off by fiat, then the problem is with your perception of balance, not the fact that you need a mod to disable spells.
Old April 5th, 2006, 02:25 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Graeme Dice said:
Then why don't you just disable the spells via a mod?
Several gamers don't use mods and several don't trust modded files. Also it would be a hundred times faster if the functionality existed within the startup screen. If you review the previous posts you'll also see it was someone else who suggested this not me.
Example:
Setting up allies can be done within the .map file... doesn't mean every future version should leave it that way. One of the biggest complaints I remember reading are people saying the game is not user friendly... asking these same individuals to make adjustments via mods only steps them further away.

On the same note if Dominions_3 suddenly removed independent strength and magic site frequency from the startup options where this can only be done via MODs or editing .map files more players would be unhappy. The reverse is true where if players could setup allies and disable forged items before the start of each game on an advanced tab more players would be happy for the easier functionality.
Old April 5th, 2006, 07:16 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NTJedi said:
Several gamers don't use mods and several don't trust modded files.
That's their problem, not the games. If they aren't capable of reading a text file to see what it does, or aren't capable of copying a file to a specific directory, then they really aren't going to be capable of playing Dominions in the first place.

Quote:
Also it would be a hundred times faster if the functionality existed within the startup screen.
Not at all. You can disable a spell with about five lines of text and a couple of mouse clicks. To pick a single spell out of a list of hundreds would take far longer.

Quote:
If you review the previous posts you'll also see it was someone else who suggested this not me.
You've suggested this at least a half-dozen times NTJedi.
Old April 5th, 2006, 07:34 PM

General

Quote:
Graeme Dice said:
That's their problem, not the games. If they aren't capable of reading a text file to see what it does, or aren't capable of copying a file to a specific directory, then they really aren't going to be capable of playing Dominions in the first place.
Whoaa... that is so wrong and close minded.
Despite your current computer abilities you can't expect everyone to know modding skills... in fact many gamers never edited a game file. To instantly believe they are not worthy of a game because of this is bad business thinking.
Your comments have nothing to do with even basic business sense.

Quote:
Graeme Dice said:
Not at all. You can disable a spell with about five lines of text and a couple of mouse clicks. To pick a single spell out of a list of hundreds would take far longer.

WRONG... I can scan at least 12 spells within one second. Reading the word 'eagle eye' takes 1/10 of a second. Which means 120 spells would take 10 seconds. Which is far faster then locating a file, locating the spell within the file, editing file lines of text, couple mouse clicks and then testing to verify no mistake was made.

Do you have any idea how hard the game reviews would be if all starting game options had to be done thru modding??

Quote:
Graeme Dice said:
You've suggested this at least a half-dozen times NTJedi.
And all I did was agree with someone yet you had to go dig up a whole discussion instead of opening a new topic or tossing me a message.
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:48 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NTJedi said:
And all I did was agree with someone yet you had to go dig up a whole discussion instead of opening a new topic or tossing me a message.
You mean this "discussion"? I think we've said enough. I'm wondering if some wonderfully talented programmer can come up with a utility to auto-generate the kind of mod NTJedi's looking for. I'm starting to get used to PHP, but I'm very much so a novice.
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I missed that. What mod?
I probably could although I never really got interested in mods. I did quite a few programs to do map changes. And Ive dabbled with the idea of one to run a multi-game campaign (read the results of one game to write you into the next one). But except for my compiled stuff (turning it into an .exe) there was never much interest in getting the programs. Probably because the code wasnt in a popular language
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:08 PM

General

Quote:
Morkilus said:
Quote:
NTJedi said:
[url) this [/url] "discussion"?
When I agreed with someone it was from post#415997 - 04/03/06 07:32 PM from OG_Gleep... so my post with agreeing with someone wasn't from that discussion.

And the option to disable spells and items existed within Heroes_3 which is over 5 years old. Heroes_3 had an easy user interface to disable items held by commanders... I merely suggested taking the same direction. As I mentioned before one of the biggest complaints from other gamers was Dominions was not user friendly... my suggestion is to make it more user friendly so the community grows.
Old April 6th, 2006, 03:49 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

NT_Jedi: Would you also care to compare the manpower and financial resources available to Illwinter vs. New World Computing/3DO? That's required for your point about Heroes 3 to have any actual meaning. We're talking orders of magnitude differences here, and the limitations imposed by the already existing engine architecture. Which means that you have to mesh any new additions to that and see that it doesn't break anything. It's not simply coding something from scratch to your specifications.

Edi
Old April 6th, 2006, 05:02 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

What are you talking about? Heroes 3 did not have an option to remove items from the game.
You had to open the map editor, locate the relevant map, go into the correct settings panel and then find and disable the items, then rename the map to prevent confusion and then resave it in another name in the correct location.

Unless you are talking about WoG (which IIRC allows you to disable whatever item you want from the game settings menu), but then again, that's an independant mod for the game, and we are assuming we are dealing with people that can't install mods...
Old April 6th, 2006, 05:04 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

NTJedi, you have suggested this many times. I think Illwinter has already read at least one of these suggestions AND the discussion that followed each one. We don't know what is implemented in Dominions 3 - I suggest you wait until you have the game, and ask for this to be added to the first patch if this or some other easier way to disable spells doesn't exist and you still feel this is so big a problem.

Besides which - what spells do you want to ban?