.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old March 1st, 2005, 10:17 AM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anti-SC commanders

One item I've found very useful to deal with seemingly unkillable SCs, if you can't afford the "Drain Life" standards, is the Staff of Corrosion. Once I had 7 mundane commanders with these toys annihilate an annoying Air Queen who had luck, high MR, and full immunity to everything - except there's no immunity to acid. I think she died before the 5th battle round.

There was a bit of discussion about these staves on the French forum some months ago.
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldn't get a unit regenerate enough to take mages with decay. Is DECAY a good way to kill SCs, or can they get enough regen to deny it and how?
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:29 PM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road

I think decay as an mr check usually? I think KO said that for banefire a high enough regen may work as after some set number of rounds (I think 50) the effect stops.

The staff of corrosion is a cool idea... although thats fire and water, right?
Old March 1st, 2005, 02:24 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Strange that Acid isn't used more against SCs, then. That should help Tien Chi, and Tien Chi is considered very weak.
Old March 1st, 2005, 06:23 PM

Captain

atul is on a distinguished road

Few acid-casting mages have the mobility of SCs, and without any prec 100 acid spells those mages are casting a world of hurt to their own meat shields.

Anyway, from what I've seen, Celestial Masters (especially S&A's) are really potent SC killers - with fire, water, air and astral it's nearly impossible to build anything totally impervious to them. Using item-boosted mages later in the game to bring the fear of True God into heathens isn't what makes TC weak - the crappy troops, low initial paths on mages, lack of multipath synergy in spells, the common suckiness of cavalry units in general, vulnerability to Mind Duel and forced turmoil in themes is. Hm, did I remember enough?

Still having fond memories of TC, though.
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:05 PM

PvK is on a distinguished road

A few cheap anti-SC tools I've used effectively include vine arrows, ethereal crossbows, and bane blades.

Imperial TC troops can be ok if used in certain ways. I'd like to see them cheaper though. TC overall would be better if cavalry were more effective.

PvK

P.S. I don't think decay weapons have a MR check but I would think the spell Decay would, but don't know.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:58 AM

Edi is on a distinguished road

Maybe it was just a freak lucky incident, but I had a randomly equipped (scavenged items from dead mages) bane (yes, bane, not bane lord) that made a truly heroic battle performance.

My castle was being invaded by an army of about 100 mechanical men, an archangel buffed with items and powering to F7, a harbinger Wrather, two fully equipped natarajas and a fully equipped golem. My forces were the bane (charcoal shield, rune smasher, copper plate, burning pearl and something else), a scorpion king of E8/F7, some 300 statues (most wiped out by wrathful skies) and ~200 banefire archers (also wrathed).

When all was said and done, that lowly bane almost single-handedly whacked both natarajas and the golem and did in his share of mech men too. The SK kept petrifying one of the natarajas and the golem concentrated on a few surviving statues and the bane just picked off the SCs one by one in individual combat until the enemy routed. I was left picking my jaw off the floor and so was Soapyfrog who had expected his army to perform better. There is still a question of whether the natarajas actually died or routed, as our battle replays seemed to be different.

Upshot: Use petrification if you can, because even a successful MR roll results in several turns of paralysis, allowing your weak thugs to stomp on the SCs without fear of retaliation. Just how feasible this is for most nations I haven't really looked into.

Edi