.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 30th, 2007, 10:58 PM

Private

Gooles is on a distinguished road
Default RE: \"Upgrade\" options between Dominion series.

Firstly, this is the most addicting and therefor most played strategy game I own. I love almost everything about it..... the exception being the $50 price tag per game. It isn't that the game itself isn't worth it, but if you own a previous installment, upgrading to the latest always makes me very reluctant. The changes and additions to the game are excellent, but really, the game itself is only slightly changed.

Because of this, I would wish you'd consider an "upgrade" option. As in, if you can provide a valid serial key (only can be used once of course), you would be charged a reduced rate of only $20 to $30 since a good portion of the game is reused. It would be a major deterrent towards reasons to pirate Dominions 2 & 3 (I admit, I originally downloaded Dom3 since I couldn't bring myself to pay $50 again) as well as greatly increase your revenue as many people are still downloading only version 3.04 (pre-serial blacklists), which means the price reduction might entice them further to purchase the game.

I've loved the entire Dominions series and have been playing since 2004. I wish to purchase Dominions 4 when it comes out, but I won't bring myself to pay again. I really hope you'll at least consider this idea.
(Feel free to flame me, tell me I'm over the line or hell- you could even agree if you want to)

Cheers!
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:53 PM

Corporal

Yucky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RE: \"Upgrade\" options between Dominion series.

On a related note, $50 is a pittance to pay for a game of this quality.
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:02 AM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

I'm not qualified to make business decisions, but FWIW when/if Dominions 4 is released I'll be far more concerned about changes to the UI, AI (strategic and combat), and rules than about the price tag. I'm not rich, but if I can blow 8 bucks occasionally on a 2-hour movie, I can afford to spend 50 bucks on something that will entertain me for months.

Obviously if Shrapnel thinks it would make them more money I'm all for it. Making money is good.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:52 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Gooles, that admission of having pirated Dominions just got you in potentially big trouble where participation in these forums is concerned. Expect to be contacted via more private channels really soon.
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:11 PM

Sergeant

SlipperyJim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gooles said:
Because of this, I would wish you'd consider an "upgrade" option. As in, if you can provide a valid serial key (only can be used once of course), you would be charged a reduced rate of only $20 to $30 since a good portion of the game is reused.
I'm not sure if there's any precedent for this in the gaming world. I own a licensed copy of Civ3, and I didn't get any discount on Civ4. I own both the original Pirates! and the remade Pirates! Gold, but that didn't get me a discount on the new(ish) Pirates! game....

Okay, so Microsoft offers upgrade pricing on their Windows and Office software (and perhaps a few others). But I don't think that any game company offers upgrade pricing. I'm not saying that they can't do it. Obviously, they can. However, I can't think of any game companies who do offer it.

And I think I know why. An operating system costs hundreds of dollars. Microsoft Office also costs hundreds of dollars. Most games (including Dom3) cost about $50. To me, that says the gaming industry runs on lower overhead than Microsoft. If the overhead is lower, then there's less flexibility on pricing. After all, JK & KO have to eat, right?

IANAMBA (I Am Not An MBA), so my analysis could be wrong. In which case, I'll refer you back to MaxWilson's excellent point: $50 is quite a bargain for a game that has as much staying power as Dom3. I have spent a good bit more than that on Civ4 (including buying the expansion), and Dom3 has given me a lot more entertainment for my money.
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Well J and K have other jobs than this that they live off of.
But Shrapnel has to eat

I dont think that Dom3 could have been done as an upgrade. It might seem like small changes but I dont think that any of the files were unchanged so it wouldnt be just a little download to "upgrade" from dom2 to dom3.

I agree though that the price isnt all that much as far as I can see. I buy many games at that price or higher which last maybe a month on my machine. The doms have always laster for years and only get replaced by the next dom.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:08 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I believe there have been a few games where owning the original netted you a discount on a sequel. It's hard for me to remember the exact titles, but I recall the second Unreal Tournament title (2004?) offered this deal, at least in the UK.

Showing you own a copy of Age of Wonders 2 might also have netted a discount for the sequel Shadow Magic, but that one I'm less sure of.
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:59 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

I really, really don't agree with the original poster. $50 for dom2 then $50 for dom3 a few years later is a small price to pay.

I compare computer games to other forms of entertainment and computer games like dominions because of there vast replayability win everytime. Your money partly ensures the continued development of Dominions, if too many people pirate it, no more Dominions ever...

Dom 4 is probably I assume along way off, I would love in the meantime an expansion if Illwinter/Shrapnel was so inclined.
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:00 PM

Private

Gooles is on a distinguished road

I actually got the idea from a game called Wall Street Raider where updates (which are usually major additions to the game, higher res. options, etc) are only $7 as compared to the $20 to originally purchase. It's not that I can't afford the game, it's just other games with much higher costs in production are cheaper to purchase. Upon rethinking it though, I suppose bigger isn't better and that dev. quality is what counts.

I'd also though, like to elaborate on my original statement in that my main concern was that we pay the same amount of money for a game in which many of the game's elements have been recycled from a game I already have paid for.

Quote:
Edi said:
Gooles, that admission of having pirated Dominions just got you in potentially big trouble where participation in these forums is concerned. Expect to be contacted via more private channels really soon.
=/ I'd find it morally asinine to ban me from forums (or worse if much care is truly felt necessary) for admitting I pirated (and then purchased) a game. I often take a try before I buy approach and will defend my stance always (I pirated and purchased Wall Street Raider too for the record). I admire your concern though.

(Sorry for updating so many times)
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:07 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

I happen to disagree with the so-called "Try before buy" approach on ethical grounds, especially given the existence of demos and given that Dom3 is not the first but second sequel which is fairly similar to its predecessors.

That aside, given that I'm a moderator here, it is my duty to bring threads like this to the attention of the board administration, who generally happen to take a fairly harsh view of piracy and will therefore likely have words with you if nothing else. I just pointed that out. Given that you bought the game, a ban is not an automatic outcome, unlike in the instances of outright piracy, of which we have had some. All of THOSE people were summarily booted out.

Just so that we are clear on this. I do not set policy and I can't ignore the mod duties.