.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 27th, 2008, 05:49 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Water queens may be way overpowered.

Quote:
Argitoth said:

What about the fact that queen of the lake may be overpowered out of water?
You've already been told this is not the case and you've been told several ways how to counter it and what you can do. Just because you picked one SC to go toe to toe alone against the WQ does not mean the WQ is overpowered, it just means you're using the wrong tactics.

If you choose not to heed the advice given and keep repeating things so that thread only goes in circles, that's your option. I've got an option of dealing with that which involves a nice yellow lock marker appearing right next to the thread title.

Does that answer your question?
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:53 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Argitoth is on a distinguished road

Edi, yes there's ways to counter anything that is overpowered. But if it's overpowered, there's a balance issue in the game. My goal with this discussion is to discuss if the water queen is overpowered or not and we can do some tests.

This discussion is not one that should be locked, it's very on topic and very relevant to dominions.
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

Argi, my friend and trusted ally.. noone except you seems to think them over-powered so far so that sort of ends the discussion. Noone can talk about this with you since most don't agree.

summary
all find WQ not overpowered --> no balance issue --> no problem

If you keep saying after every post of another person you still find it overpowered you will annoy Edi I fear (personally I think locking the thread won't be needed since I fear noone will need to post here anymore anyway)
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Water Queens are good, but Air Queen are generally better. They fly fast, farther, AND they can cast Cloud Trapeze to teleport.
Earth Kings' innate abilities aren't as powerful as the other royalty's, but he's got twice as many hp as a water queen, and very nice protection. Not to mention the fact that the Earth king can cast Petrify at the Water Queen. Also, regeneration won't help against death, so soul slay, petrify, gifts from heaven etc which kill normal SCs also kill the water queens.
Old April 27th, 2008, 06:02 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

lol
Old April 27th, 2008, 06:06 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Ok, I understand what you are saying endo. With enough mages, indeed 1-hit kill spells will eventually get through. However, the 50 turn limit makes it less gauranteed. In the battle with my mages vs the water queen, my mages retreated on turn 50.

I am prepared to do tests, why not discuss this seriously? What tests can I do that might prove or disprove that the queen is overpowered? We shouldn't just have opinions, lets (at least me) really test this.
Old April 27th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road

There are ways to kill Water Queens. I killed 2 of them in 1 turn in a mp game 2 days ago. Best way to find out how it is done is through testing.

Not everyone posts all of their best tactics on the forums for their opponents to read.
Old April 27th, 2008, 06:24 PM

Corporal

Unoptimized is on a distinguished road

Argitoth, I can see where your frustration is coming from. However, many of the replies that you have already received provide the clues for your test.

If I were going to call the elemental royalty of water imbalanced, then I would need to see it best each of the other royalties in their stated strengths.

Fire elemental royalty can clear chaff like no other. They also have access to some of the nastier evocations. While the lady of the lakes is hard to kill, she does not have access to the same battlefield sweep capacity that fire royalty has.

Earth elemental royalty can bring it's protection to pretty absurd levels with the most excellent earth buffs. They also have access to petrify, which allows them to be incredibly effective SC killers. If you could show an earth royalty losing to a water royalty above ground with that spell in play, you would be one step closer to convincing me about the imbalance issue.

The air elemental royalty may well not be able to stick it to the water royalty in a straight fight, but that is not their stated strength. The strength of air royalty lies in their INCREDIBLE tactical mobility. They are where you want them to be, and your opponent has near on no chance to anticipate their movement.

So to end this long winded reply, I would say that you need to show a water royalty losing to an earth royalty even when the earth player has the advantage in research and gear before I would call fowl on the lady of the lakes.

Well, that, or you could show proof that that watery tart is still throwing swords around.
Old April 27th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Unoptimized said:So to end this long winded reply, I would say that you need to show a water royalty losing to an earth royalty even when the earth player has the advantage in research and gear before I would call fowl on the lady of the lakes.
FINALLY, a serious nomination for tests. Alright, I will do this test and possibly create a new thread to detail everything. I can't do it today, have to go to church then work on homework. Soon though. Talk to you later!
Old April 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

a high defence unit just shouldn't be attacked with one unit.. you attack them with loads of attacks

Agri: try this earth elemental with a stone bird, the nature helmet that gives the gore attack, 2 swords of quickness, an amulet of luck, a ring of regen things like that.. givin high number of attacks

then have him cast the buffs previously mentioned

or try him with petrify as mentioned above
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.