.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 30th, 2007, 08:05 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Sons of Kaleva, a Kalevala mod

This thread is ancient and hasn't aged well. Because of this, I made a new thread for release (version 0.85 and on).

New thread here

---------------------

I'm making a mod based on the Finnish epic, Kalevala, and on Finnish mythology in general. At the moment, it's a mismatch of bear tribals, random ideas and heap of national spells. Suggestions are welcome.

Mages everywhere:
Witch: N1E1 / 100 gp, sacred
Wiseman: N1 ?100%WEDN / 120 gp, sacred Holy 1

mages cap only:
Spellsinger: N2E1 ?210%WEDN / 240 gp
Bear Tribe Shaman: N2 ?10%E / 110gp, sacred stealthy

units everywhere:
Bear Tribe Warriors (l.inf. with spear/javelin or hatchet)
Huskarl (med.inf. with spear/javelin, shield or axe/javelin, shield)
Woodsman (l. archer with dagger/shortbow; stealthy)
Hunstman (med.inf. with axe, crossbow, shield; stealthy)
Hakkapelite (light cav with broad sword, lance, hoof, shield)

The idea is a national army low in armor but good in stealth and with high damage-dealing potential. Hakkapelites have def 18 and only cost 15 resources, but they lack special qualities that'd make them rival centaur warriors or vanir.

units cap only:
Vaetti
Vaetti Wolfrider

National spells:

Code:

Spellsong of the Forest People, N3/9 gems ritual, conj 3
3x "kithaironic bear" with prot 18, att 12, str 23

Spellsong of the Mountain People, E2N1/15 gems ritual, conj 3
Gnome: E2N2 stealthy mage with glamour

Spellsong of the Water People, W2N1/19gems ritual, conj 4
N�kki: W2, 2xWDN magic. Costs upkeep.

Spellsong of the Grave People, N1D1, Thaum 1
national Seven Year Fever

Spellsong of the Wood People, N2, Alt 2
mag.res.negates, AoE 5 version of Aim to be used on archers

Spellsong of the Steel People, N1E1, Ench 3
heals 10 dmg on range 25, AoE 3

Spellsong of the High Heart, N2/1 gem, Alt 0
Fanaticism that costs 1 gem. Nation has no priests that can cast sermon of courage.

heroes:
not done yet, but will include Väinämöinen (mage with good E, lesser NWD, low awe and good combat skills), Ilmarinen (mage with good A, lesser F and/or E, forge bonus) and Hiisi (custom moose-riding Troll King with a bit of Nature in addition to Earth) and possibly one or more of the following:
-Louhi, a seithkona/norna type crone that shapechanges into a Great Eagle or Ziz
-Joukahainen, a foolish hero with a bit of magic skill and lots of inherent flashy equipment like a flaming bow, a fiery mount, perhaps sailing ability
-Lemmink�inen, a human hero that her mother brings back from the dead (immortal?)
-small man who comes from the sea and transforms into a hulking giant in bronze equipment (fomorian in full bronze armor?)

------------------
This thread is ancient and hasn't aged well. Because of this, I made a new thread for release (version 0.85 and on).

New thread here

Last edited by Endoperez; October 29th, 2008 at 12:36 AM..
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:33 AM

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sons of Kaleva, a Kalevala mod

Fire, Endo. You need Fire magic for base mages, though it should be minor. Fire is one of the most important elements in Finnish folklore. It is the basis for all of our myths about house elves/gnomes (haltiat). The original haltia was a fire spirit, which would spring into being wherever a fire was lit and it would have an appearance akin to whoever made the fire.

This morphed into the kodinhaltia when settlements became permanent, but the kodinhaltia was liked to the fireplace of the house. I read a book on our folklore (actual research into it, not just a collection of myths) and within the geographical boundaries of Finland, there are mentions of hundreds of different spirits, with over two hundred names for fire spirits alone.

So just put F1 on the common mages, though the best the nation should get with fire mages is F2 at the most aside from Ilmarinen.
Old December 1st, 2007, 01:46 PM

I'd really like to keep Earth, but it just has to go. I'd really like to keep Witches and Gnomes, but I might have to give both up. It's very annoying, but Earth just doesn't fit the nation at all. I had themed even Hiisi as a renegade Troll King, but trolls and fire don't work well together.

What about this kind of a mage roster:

everywhere:
N1 100%FWDN Wiseman, sacred, not priest
N2H1 10%E Bear Tribe Shaman, stealthy
capital:
N2F1 210%FWDN Spellsinger

This way the nation has:
1) cheap, sacred researcher
2) access to a stealthy mage that can buff the stealthy troops, esp. cast Spellsong of the High Heart
3) a mage/priest recruitable everywhere
4) eventually a Nature/Earth mage, that can start summoning Gnomes if given Earth Boots or 30 Earth gems for empowerment

The only problem is that I'd have liked to change Spellsong of the High Heart into N1F1 now that I could have. I can't write here how troublesome it has been to come up with these changes. I really liked Earth, and needed it for the gnomes, and had to change lots of things. It was a really annoying process that can be summed up to "I don't know how experienced modmakers can go through all this more than once! AARGH! This doesn't work either!"
Old December 1st, 2007, 03:01 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

What era?

b/c even for late era, that is not strong magic - you could give them earth as well, no problem.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old December 1st, 2007, 05:16 PM

I'm not sure yet. At the moment, I'm thinking of light armor but good damage potential. I'm also considering all-around mapmove of at least 2 for all units (light and med infantry, stealthy archers, stealthy med inf. with crossbows) and forestsurvival, with perhaps one or more of the other survival types thrown in for even better movement rate. However, I also want crossbows, so Early age is out.

I'd like to add more mages, but I'm out of ideas ATM. Comparing Spellsinger to mages of Middle, it seems he could be made available everywhere without balance problems. Perhaps a bit more versatile with his double random, but not out of line. I'll add a variation of Vaetti hags to the capital, but that's all I have left.
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:14 PM

Major General

Let's assume mid-era, as there are a lot of late-era mods already. Don't the Finns have something of a reputation as sorcerers among their neighbors, Kelavala aside?

I'd drop the Vaetti, or make everyone Vaetti.

This is my suggestion for magic paths and special powers.

Witch (everywhere) - EN,{FWE,75%}{FWN,75%},healer 20%,prevent bad events 10%
Spellsinger (everywhere) - F2N2,{FEDN,100%}{FEDN,10%}
Shaman (capital only) - Sacred, turns into a Bear, maybe even a werebear (thugable), E2N2,{FWEN,10%}
Sorcerer (capital only) - D2WFN,{FWDN,100%},{FWDN,10%}

Another option would be to convert some of those heroes into commanders - so the witches could have air magic and *all* turn into giant eagles; the sorcerers could all have forge bonuses.

I sure hope they add more nation slots
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:49 PM

I made graphics for Hiisi already, so I'm not going to drop them straight away. They'll be goblins, like vaetti and bakemono, but instead of wolves they've befriended moose. They provide the nation cheap stealthy archers and stealthy cavalry. Moose Brothers have one spearmen and one archer mounted on a moose, and after the first 8 damage the archer dies but the spearman stays.

I think I'll go with something like this:

Sorcerer (hiisi) - {FWD 100%}{FDN 100%}, prevent bad events 10%
Wiseman (everywhere) - F1N2,{FEDN,100%}{FEDN,10%}
Bear Tribe Shaman (everywhere) - H1 N2, {E, 50%}{E, 50%}
Spellsinger (capital only) - F2N2, {FWDN,100%},{FWDN,100%},{FWDN,10%}

Also, I'm aiming to make this mod completely replace EA Ulm, slot and all. Someone has to try if it works, eh?
Old December 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM

Major General

If they're going to be EA, they should get a *lot* more magic than that.

Let's compare to EA Ermor. EA Ermor, which is pretty balanced, gets a nice military and:
F2SD2{FSNA,110%} on the augur elder
F{FAWEN,100%} on the Flamen

That's F3A1W1E1S2D3N1.
Old December 1st, 2007, 08:15 PM

They're going to be in MA. I just use up nation slot 2 (EA Ulm) instead of one of the free nation slots, and EA Ulm nametype slots (131, 132) for the heroes.

Unit roster ATM:
Hiisi (stealthy goblin archer)
Moose Brother (stealthy moose infantry/archer)
Bear Tribe Warriors (light infantry)
Huskarls (med. infantry with javelins)
Huntsman (med. infantry with axe, crossbow, shield)
Hakkapelite (light cavalry with broad sword, lance, good def)

possibile additions:
Bear Cult Warrior (med. infantry with battleaxe, perhaps with berserk/sacred/something)

mages:
Same as few posts ago, except for:
Spellsinger (capital only) - F2D1N2, 210%FWDN; they are also somewhat older, and sometimes start with old age (esp. if they got fire randoms)

possible addition:
Myrrysmies (Storm Zealot?) - low-level Nature/Fire/Water mage with good prot, berserker+5, perhaps fire resistance

Here is a Finnish-only wikipedia article about them. Basically, mages who go to a berserk-like trance when doing magic, exorcising spirits with an axe and able to handle weapons from their blades without harming themselves.
http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intomies

Also, I realised that Näkki will make very good thugs. 19 gems for amphibian size 4, 27 hp, prot 6 Water/Death/Earth mage with full equipment slots. They have W2 and three WDE randoms, so can get up to W5, and will have at least W3 or two paths at level 2.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 03:18 AM

Edi is on a distinguished road

Storm zealot would be a poor translation of myrrysmies. Better to leave it without one, as that term just doesn't translate correctly. English doesn't have the proper words for it without wrecking the meaning. Or you could leave it at myrrysman